Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hunting is a "green" activity! 
 Post subject: Hunting is a "green" activity!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:24 am 
Wise Elder

Thursday, November 20, 2008
Updated: November 24, 1:17 PM ET
Shoot locally
By Sam Eifling
ESPNOutdoors.com

Kill any green deer lately?

Chances are you have, if you followed the prime directive of ethical hunting — that you eat what you shoot.

A wild deer, with its bulk built from acorns and clover, supplies some of the most environmentally-responsible protein a person can eat. It's a source that requires less water, fossil fuels or carbon emissions than the meat and even the vegetables Americans typically consume.

Hunters often claim to be the original environmentalists. In the case of their diet, a back-of-the-bar-napkin ESPNOutdoors.com analysis suggests they may have a point.

The short version — if you don't want to plod through the math below — eating a pound of wild venison instead of a pound of beef may keep roughly a gallon of gas out of industrial food production.

If you figure that the average American eats almost half a pound of meat per day, that's potentially a huge savings of carbon going into the atmosphere (to say nothing of the national security implications of saving oil).

"If you think of the average hunter as a guy who hunts around his area, a lot of venison comes from a block away," says Steven Rinella, a hunter and author of "The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" and, forthcoming in a couple of weeks, "American Buffalo."

He said that as a kid, he used to bowhunt deer right around his house, "before anyone had any idea about this 'eating local' garbage."

Yes, "eating local." That would be the premise that an eater — e.g., you and everyone you know — can conserve natural resources almost passively, simply by eating food produced close to home. Pick the farmer's market blueberries instead of those flown in from Chile, the thinking goes, and you spare the Earth a heapin' helping of exhaust fumes.

The Department of Agriculture tracks how much energy goes into producing our food. There is no data for venison since it is not produced commercially.

To give an idea, look at Michael Pollan's essay, "Farmer in Chief," published in the New York Times Magazine in October. He cites a study that says as much as 37 percent of the greenhouse gases America emits comes from our food production, and not just from your driving to Safeway. Tilling fields releases carbon; fertilizers and pesticides are made from fossil fuels; and big machines harvest and transport our food.

"[A] system that in 1940 produced 2.3 calories of food energy for every calorie of fossil-fuel energy it used [turned] into one that now takes 10 calories of fossil-fuel energy to produce a single calorie of modern supermarket food," he writes. "Put another way, when we eat from the industrial-food system, we are eating oil and spewing greenhouse gases."

He advises the incoming administration: "You should support hunting as a particularly sustainable way to eat meat — meat grown without any fossil fuels whatsoever."

You may not want to drive a Prius, but if you hunt, you can sure eat like one. Think globally, shoot locally.

Now, our breakdown, as you'll see, makes a boatload of assumptions.

For one, it neglects the huge freezer (powered by electricity likely derived from burning coal) a hunter will probably use to store the meat. It ignores any trips back and forth from a target range for shooting practice; it ignores the burden of making and using trucks and off-road vehicles that otherwise wouldn't be needed for a hunt.

It leaves out extravagant hunting trips like the ones Rinella takes to Alaska, in which he and a companion will charter a plane to his cabin on Prince of Wales Island to shoot sheep. "Insanely consumptive," he calls it. But he has a neighbor there who kills four blacktails a year hunting from a skiff, dragging shrimp pods with him as he goes. "Talk about low impact," Rinella says.

This tally also ignores the impact of burning firewood in your deer camp's potbelly stove, of making an extra beer run to town once you kill the deer, and of the fumes from the after-dinner cigar. Certainly, we could get all Quicken with our calculations, but maybe we should leave it at this: Hunting, done simply, deserves a place in any conversation about sustainable food production.

There are so many variables here — size and type of the deer, the distance traveled to kill it, whether a deer is corn-fed — that the environmental cost of an "average" deer is impossible to ascertain.

Venison has an equivalent protein content as many other common meats.
But let's take a reasonable guess. First, we wonder, how much meat does a dressed-out deer yield, and how many calories does that meat contain? Then, how does that compare to the investment of resources required to produce a comparable nutritional yield from beef?

Actually, the beef question is the simplest. David Pimentel, a professor of ecology and agricultural sciences at Cornell University and an expert on energy inputs and benefits in food, cites the Department of Agriculture's figure of 40 kilocalories (a kilocalorie, or kcal, is 1,000 calories) of fossil fuels in each kcal of beef protein. "It's not insignificant," he says.

A kilogram of raw ground beef contains about 2,540 kcal, with 880 kcal of that coming from the protein, and a gallon of gas contains roughly 30,000 kcal. Our math says that kg of beef (about 2.2 pounds) requires a calorie transfer from fossil fuels equal to about 1.2 gallons of gas.

Wild game venison, by contrast, requires only that a deer be allowed to roam freely until such time as he or she is shot. Unless you're feeding it corn, the net fossil fuel input to raise a doe or buck is zero. But how many kcal will that deer provide a hungry hunter?

Again, that number will vary tremendously, so ESPNOutdoors.com called deer processors in Colorado, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma and Ohio for their guesses. According to those processors, a typical ratio of edible meat from a dressed carcass is 50 to 60 percent, depending on the size of the deer and the skill with which it was shot and field-dressed.

Reached at Warner's Deer Processing in Richwood, Ohio, second-generation processor Charles Warner said he had butchered a large deer that morning that yielded 66 percent of the carcass weight as meat.

"That was exceptional," Warner said. "You could figure roughly 60 percent would be average. We've had them as low as 35 pounds and as high as 208."

So figure on 60 percent of a good-sized deer carcass — which, to pick a realistic round number, might weigh 100 pounds. Sixty pounds of raw, ground venison, at the Department of Agriculture's listed 214 grams of protein per kg, would yield nearly 6 kg of protein for the dinner table.

For most local hunting trips, the venison harvested is more energy-efficient than store-bought beef. However, if you spend more than 30 gallons of gas to kill a deer, you would be better off buying meat.
The equivalent amount of protein from ground beef would require 26 kg of meat. Each of those kg, remember, requires the fossil fuel equivalent of 1.2 gallons of gas to manufacture — or about 30 gallons of gas for 58 pounds of beef.

In other words, as long as you're burning less than a half-a-gallon of gas for each pound of wild venison you harvest instead of beef, you're conserving petroleum — and the carbon emissions and other environmental degradations that come with its use.

"It's not a big leap mentally to see the extension from gardening and farmer's markets to hunting local foods," Rinella says. "I think that's going to be a big part of hunting in the future is going to be that mentality. That'll be something that people give as an example of why they hunt. Ten years ago, no one would have said, 'Because it uses less resources and because it's a sustainable source of protein.'"

That attitude may have been a while in coming. But so long as you're not driving or flying all over creation to take a deer — or an elk, or a moose, or a turkey — that trophy buck in your sights makes for some highly prudent protein.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunt ... id=3714828

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Yup. I'm sure that'll get the greens on the side of hunting.

Then there's this article from Jolly Olde England; I could have all the zero-miles meat I could eat, if I could convince my wife (and myself) that squirrels are good eats:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... odanddrink

Quote:
The ultimate ethical meal: a grey squirrel
It tastes sweet, like a cross between lamb and duck. And it's selling as fast as butchers can get it

Caroline Davies
The Observer, Sunday 11 May 2008

It's low in fat, low in food miles and completely free range. In fact, some claim that Sciurus carolinensis - the grey squirrel - is about as ethical a dish as it is possible to serve on a dinner plate.

The grey squirrel, the American cousin of Britain's endangered red variety, is flying off the shelves faster than hunters can shoot them, with game butchers struggling to keep up with demand. 'We put it on the shelf and it sells. It can be a dozen squirrels a day - and they all go,' said David Simpson, the director of Kingsley Village shopping centre in Fraddon, Cornwall, whose game counter began selling grey squirrel meat two months ago.

At Ridley's Fish and Game shop in Corbridge, Northumberland, the owner David Ridley says he has sold 1,000 - at £3.50 a squirrel - since he tested the market at the beginning of the year. 'I wasn't sure at first, and wondered would people really eat it. Now I take every squirrel I can get my hands on. I've had days when I have managed to get 60 and they've all sold straight away.'

Simpson likens the taste to wild boar. Ridley thinks it is more a cross between duck and lamb. 'It's moist and sweet because, basically, its diet has been berries and nuts,' he said.

Both believe its new-found popularity is partly due to its green credentials. 'People like the fact it is wild meat, low in fat and local - so no food miles,' says Simpson. Ridley reckons that patriotism also plays a part: 'Eat a grey and save a red. That's the message.'

A glut of back-to-the-wild TV programmes featuring celebrity chefs such as Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has also tickled the public's palate, but squirrel is still unlikely to be found in the family fridge. The Observer's restaurant critic, Jay Rayner, said he had never tasted squirrel, but if he did have it for dinner 'it would have to be a big, fat country squirrel and not one of the mangy urban ones you see in cities'.

'People may say they are buying it because it's green and environmentally friendly, but really they're doing it out of curiosity and because of the novelty value. If they can say, "Darling, tonight we're having squirrel", then that takes care of the first 30 minutes of any dinner party conversation. I see it remaining a niche. There's not much meat on a squirrel, so I'd be surprised if farming squirrel takes off anywhere some time soon.'

Kevin Viner, former chef-proprietor of Pennypots, the first Michelin-starred restaurant in Cornwall, who now runs Viners bar and restaurant at Summercourt, believes it will remain a niche market. But with a plentiful supply of meat - there are estimated to be almost five million grey squirrels in Britain - there is room for the market to expand.

Viner - who comes from a rural 'if you shot it, you ate it' background - said the trick was to serve squirrel fresh and not to leave it hanging like other game. 'It looks a lot like rabbit, though it is a drier meat and slightly firmer. Most of the meat comes off the rear leg. The loins are so thin they need much shorter cooking time,' he said.

'A large squirrel would be enough for one-and-a-half people. The public really are being drawn to it. I think that it's because it is being perceived as a healthy meat. Southern fried squirrel is good. And tandoori style works. It is especially tasty fricasséed with Cornish cream and walnuts. But the one everyone seems to like is the Cornish squirrel pasty.'

And his own favourite recipe? 'I must admit, I'm a beef man myself,' he said. 'But my huntsman swears by squirrel with sausage meat and bacon.'

------------------

How to make squirrel pasties
Kevin Viner's recipe for two pasties

140g squirrel meat cut into 1cm cubes;

100g sliced potato; 100g sliced swede [That's British for "rutabaga" - Andrew]; 50g diced onion; 30g smoked bacon;

15g chopped hazelnuts; 75g butter;

5g chopped parsley; a good pinch of salt and pepper

Method

· Egg wash edges of pastry circles.

· Place the potato, swede, hazelnuts, parsley and seasoning on to each circle followed by the bacon, squirrel meat and, finally, the onion.

· Place butter in each pasty, then fold over the pastry and crimp the edges.

· Put the pasties on to a greaseproof baking tray, egg wash both pasties well, place in a pre-heated oven at 180C or gas mark 5.

· Bake for 45-50 minutes. The juices should start to boil and the pasties should be able to move on the tray with ease.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:56 am 
Forum Moderator

The Brits are trying to promote eating Gray Squirrel to control the population which is pushing out the native Reds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4835690.stm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:14 am 

The pastie sounds good.
I wish I could find a huntable population of greys outside of the cities.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Most of the deer that we have here in southern MN eat corn, at least till harvest time. I'm sure they supplement their meals with nuts and other stuff but upto deer season, their diet is probably similar to what the local cows eat.
The terrain around here is mostly small woods surrounded by corn and bean fields.

In other words; High Speed Beef! :lol:

As for squirrels:
Quote:
It tastes sweet, like a cross between lamb and duck.

Umm, I think it ..... tastes like Chicken.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.