Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Revolvers vs. Semiautos: the poll 

Do you carry a revolver, or a semiauto?
Revolver. I prefer them.  10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Revolver. I don't prefer them, but I think they make more sense.  8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Semiauto. Revolvers are for wimps.  1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Semiauto. Nothing against revolvers; I just prefer them.  54%  54%  [ 42 ]
I have a permit, but I don't carry.  3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I switch off, from time to time.  22%  22%  [ 17 ]
Carry? What do you mean, "carry"? You're not talking about carrying a loaded, concealed handgun in PUBLIC, are you? Aieeee! The sky is falling!  3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Semiauto. I'd rather carry a revolver, but my employer or agency requires a semiauto.  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 78

Revolvers vs. Semiautos: the poll 
 Post subject: Re: Four big advantages
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Airborne wrote:
3. No casings left behind.

Handy if you're a criminal, I suppose. How does it benefit, say, you or me?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:04 pm 
The Man

Matt Payne wrote:
Airborne wrote:

If you reload, it makes keeping the brass in one place a lot easier.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:02 pm 

Couldn't vote - no option fit an equality .

I personaly don't think it should be one vs the other as they are both fine choices and both will get the job done. Hell , it's the 21st century - can't we have both ? :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Matt Payne wrote:
Airborne wrote:
If you reload, it makes keeping the brass in one place a lot easier.
Ah. It was the "left behind" that threw me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Time for another government program "No brass left behind" :roll:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have nothing against revolvers, but I carry a Glock 19. Always have, always will. I came to the conclusion that because I can not practice as much as I should with live ammo, it just makes more sense to choose 1 platform, learn it, practice with it and stick to it for ever.

The 19, for me, is without question the best gun. It is my carry gun and my home defense gun (I have 2). I have actually been looking to pick up a snubbie revolver recently, but the 19 will always be my first love.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:05 pm 

I've been shooting handguns all my life, and have owned handguns since the 1970s. Up until the past couple of years I always preferred revolvers. Then I was seduced into the dark cult of Glock. Once I became comfortable with the trigger, I began shooting better than I ever had shot a handgun in my life. An observer watching me shoot my Glocks would assume that I am a much better shot than I really am.

Now I rarely leave the house without my 26 on my belt. I still have a couple of revolvers, and when I'm riding bicycle on wilderness trails, as I was today, I still carry my Taurus 605C with .357 hunting loads because if I encounter a cougar or surely black bear out on the trail, I'd prefer a bit more firepower than 9mm. But I prefer Glocks and if I had a 29 my .357s would probably become safe queens.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject: Revolver
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:14 pm 
Delicate Flower

Always been partial to revolvers esp. S & W. Course their size is an issue. Jeepers....had to go buy a smaller one. S&W (naturally) 38+P, 642, 2"barrel, airweight, fully enclosed hammer. Carries nice and tight with the paddle style holster. And the crimson trace grips are nice ( & spendy). No more for awhile...overbudget ! Maybe a small glock eventually.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm one of those people who think a revolver is the most goof-proof option and you don't have to go through lots of expensive social ammo to test it's reliability. I own a perfectly nice S&W 640 and lust after it's lightweight brother with the laser grips.

That said, the gun I usually carry is a .380 Keltec because it's small, flat and light. and fits my back pocket perfectly.

If I was going somewhere where I thought I would likely need it, and I HAD to go, I'd carry the Ruger P-90 in 45 ACP and damn the size and weight!

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Rule 24
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:54 am 

Rule 24 of the Marine Corp Rules for Gunfighting is "Don't attend a gunfight with a handgun the caliber of which does not begin with .4" Being a firm believer in following the rules, my primary carry gun is a Springfield M1911 .45 that rides in a Mitch Rosen ARG, but for days when it's not feasible to carry the Springer, my BUG is a S&W M642CT in a Mika pocket holster. Different tools for different jobs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:22 pm 
1911 tainted

I perfer a semi auto, Kimber Pro CDP as my standard, a Kahr PM9 or Rohrbaugh if my dress dictates it. But, I have been known to throw a S&W 642 in a pocket holster and go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:35 am 

Slythex wrote:
I WOULD carry my S&W 686P, but it's too damn big to conceal easily.
The thing shoots beautifully for me. And I've tried smaller snubby revolvers and I just don't care for them.

So I carry my 1911 clone.

I totally agree, I would love to carry my 4" GP100 but it's a chunk, I mainly carry my Springer Compact 1911. The GP100 is the handgun that I have available for the house. I guess I could buy a shoulder rig for carrying it in cooler weather under a light jacket.

NRA Life Member

2006 FLHRCI RoadKing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:36 am 
Longtime Regular

I had to choose the switch off option as I pick the gun I'm going to carry by what I'm wearing and what will conceal the best. My favorite is the Colt Mustang as it is easy to hide. The more clothing I'm wearing the larger the gun gets. I often carry no more than a 22magnum revolver in a pocket holster. I have listened for years the arguments for knock down power and my standard answer is to ask Jim Brady what his thoughts are on being shot with a 22caliber. Hope I'm not rambling,it's been a long night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:40 pm 

Most often I carry semiautos. Nothing against revolvers at all. In fact I love shooting wheelguns and often compete with them. I have a j-frame, but, I just don't seem to carry the thing very often. They are tough guns to shoot well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:55 pm 

Hi guys, I carry a revolver too - because that's what I get issued - but I prefer a s/auto possibly a Glock 17, reason: easier to shoot well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.