Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hand Gun across the Northern Boarder 
 Post subject: Re: Hand Gun across the Northern Boarder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

SSG B wrote:
Now that I have laid the story out there, what is required to LEGALLY take a hand gun into Canada?

Looks like it can be done for some handguns. Paperwork galore, I'm sure.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/weapons_into_canada.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've found one of those pony kegs "floating" along shore in one of the lakes up in the BWCA. Amazing part was it was about 2-3 days into the BWCA, and we were covering a lot of miles so probably 4-5 days for most people. Amazed me that someone carried that thing for that long.

Women in the BWCA always amaze me. Came across a group of women once, with their canoe hung up on a rock. Being the chivalrous type I decided to help. :lol:

Somehow their gear had already gotten all wet. Whatever. Rather than explain the concept of bouyancy I told them we were going to move their packs from their canoes into ours, float the canoes free and then paddle to shore were we'd transfer the packs back.

When I went to pull out their packs it was unbelievably heavy (contents wet!) but we got them transferred and the canoes freed. Once on shore I advised them their stuff was probably all wet so they should take that into account.

They opened up their packs and started pulling stuff out to check what got wet and how bad. I stood in shocked amazement at the quantity and assortment of stuff they pulled out. One girl had no less than 4 pairs of pants (in the summer!!!). I asked how long they were planning on being in the BWCA....two days.

Wow...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 pm 

ironbear wrote:
SSG B wrote:
Now that I have laid the story out there, what is required to LEGALLY take a hand gun into Canada?

Looks like it can be done for some handguns. Paperwork galore, I'm sure.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/weapons_into_canada.asp

Thanks for the info. It looks like you can do it with one form. As long as the barrel is longer than 4". There was a 1-800 number to call, perhaps I will call that before we even plan on driving 7 hours north, only to be turned away, or put in jail. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 am 
Longtime Regular

SSG B wrote:
Thanks for the info. It looks like you can do it with one form. As long as the barrel is longer than 4". There was a 1-800 number to call, perhaps I will call that before we even plan on driving 7 hours north, only to be turned away, or put in jail. Thanks!

Don't count on it. Read the page:

Quote:
A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The ATT will not be issued for hunting or self-protection purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:34 pm 

So if you are not able to obtain the permission for either hunting or self protection, what other use would a hand gun be used for? Paper weight? Decoration? I guess I just don't understand, then again, I guess I don't have to understand, silly Canadians. Are the laws set up the same for Canadians coming south across the border? Not that this would make much of a difference, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

SSG B wrote:
So if you are not able to obtain the permission for either hunting or self protection, what other use would a hand gun be used for? Paper weight? Decoration?

It's gotta be competition.

Possibly to transport through to Alaska.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:55 am 
Raving Moderate

About the only thing for bear defense acceptable to the Canucks would be a Mosin M44 or a 12 gauge, methinks. Both should do the job- just not quite as handy as a .44...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19 pm 

As has been stated on here before, black bears are not much of a worry. Only if they get in your food supply. If you follow the guidelines and put your food in a tree while gone, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you were going into Alaska, or anywhere there are Grizzlies, then I'd worry, because they are not as calm and courteous as the Black Bear. They will bite your leg and not even say thank you!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 am 

princewally wrote:
It's gotta be competition.

Possibly to transport through to Alaska.

Or "Collector" I looked at moving to Canada at one point afew years ago. I could bring some of my guns with, as long as I was a collector. A C&R FFL helped as proof you were a collector, but the storage restrictions were pretty.. restrictive.. They would basically be safe queens and not see the light of day.

If you want to hunt in the great white north, there are hunting lodges that include guns you can rent. Probably easier for short term usage.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.