Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Requesting good & bad feedback on S&W M&P .40... 
 Post subject: Requesting good & bad feedback on S&W M&P .40...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 pm 

Howdy all. Just palmed an S&W M&P .40-and fell in love with it at the gun counter. I've been reading up as much as I can, but figured this is the quickest way to get mass feedback on the current "revision" of this pistol. I really want to pick one up...SHOULD I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's been awhile (almost a year) since I last shot one at a training class I was taking, but I remember thinking that it was one of the more comfortable .40 pistols I'd ever fired. Recoil was VERY manageable and smooth. Felt more like a 9mm than a .40, actually. Less snap than a Glock, IMO.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:26 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm picking mine up tomorrow, I'll can probably give you a range report next week.

:D

Last edited by chuckw on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

The M&P in .40 S&W is a sweet shooter. Very manageable recoil, comfortable to hold and accurate. I really liked it. The particular gun that I fired had a really nice trigger too.

That being said, I did have a really bad double feed that neither I nor the range master nor my permit instructor could clear. It had to go back to the gunsmith. My thoughts were that if I were in a firefight, this would be a disaster.

To be fair, I have not heard of any other incidents similar to what happened to me. I did a lot of searching on the Internet after my jam. I was all set to buy one but not after that. Keep in mind that this was a range gun and it had probably been fired a lot and had probably not been treated gently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:33 pm 
Journeyman Member

There's also a forum dedicated to the M&P

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?act=idx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a MP 40C which I sold to buy a MP9 due to ammo costs. The MP line all shoot very smooth and the recoil is very manageable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
To be fair, I have not heard of any other incidents similar to what happened to me. I did a lot of searching on the Internet after my jam. I was all set to buy one but not after that. Keep in mind that this was a range gun and it had probably been fired a lot and had probably not been treated gently.

My money is on the trouble being exactly that. I had a Kimber rental .45 last year that had a FTF on almost every other round. Rental guns get seriously abused.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Mine is a natural pointer for me. I absolutely love it. I have a .40 but if I were to do it again I'd get a 40C for carry and a 9mm for the range.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:20 am 
Journeyman Member

I'd have to mirror everyone else on the gun...nice unit, comfortable, easy to shoot, very manageable recoil, accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:29 pm 

diamondsj wrote:
I'd have to mirror everyone else on the gun...nice unit, comfortable, easy to shoot, very manageable recoil, accurate.

i concur. about the only consistent complaint about it ws the "soft" mag release spring. the mag would drop out while firing the weapon. apparently this was a problem on the first year or two of production. mine did this quite often after the first 600 or so rounds through it. i called the s&w customer service and they sent me out a replacement spring. easy to install. the new spring has solved it, at least for my .40c. i do believe production has since corrected this from the factory.
i would buy this pistol again.

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:12 pm 

I have a .40C. It has been a great gun. Very easy to shoot considering its small size. It fits my large hands decently and is quite controllable. It also carries nicely in a MTAC. You'll love it!

I also second the recommendation for mp-pistol.com as a great set of forums.

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:47 pm 

On my 40c, I ended up replacing my magazine release spring with heavier wire I bought at a hardware store here in town. Also, if you like to tinker, finding sears was virtually impossible months ago. I haven't checked recently to see whether anyone is carrying stock sears (or the entire sear blocks) again, or whether someone has finally come out with an aftermarket sear. S&W really shut down all sales of sears on this gun, claiming the part was "controlled" and only available to S&W armorers. Magazines for these have always been on the high side as well, although nowadays that seems to be the case for all models of guns. If a deal came to my attention on a newer built 9mm model, I'd likely buy it. Would only buy an older version if the deal was really, really good though. Too many bugs showed their heads on those first builds--seems to be typical when manufacturers rush to market new models these days.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks Guys
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 pm 

Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate it. -Squirrel

Post subject: Re: Thanks Guys
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

RuralSquirrel wrote:
Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate it. -Squirrel

Squirrel..this has nothing to do with the subject, but I'm curious....did you once own a German Shorthair?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 pm 

I have a full-size 40 that I've put a couple thousand rounds through without a hiccup.

Great guns

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.