Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 40vs45 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Wow! a second use for this link! In less then 2 weeks!

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Mostly-

Ok Mostly,
When is your MR .50 cal Desert Eagle supposed to be in at your FFL's shop? :P

Great link. I missed your first posting. :D

Why would I only want a .50 cal???? :twisted:

500 mag conceals nicely in an ankle holster! (I have thick ankles)... corse this does cause a limp. :shock:

Mostly-

Actually I carry a 40 Sig 229 cept when Elk hunting - then I carry a 44mag Annaconda, but thinking of up-calibering to a 500 mag as I don't run so fast anymore especially with 80# of meat on my back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 am 
Longtime Regular

The one that is better is the one where you shot placement and speed are better.

Did you shoot a full size .45, or did you get your hands on one of the compacts?

I have both, and shoot the compact much better as the grip is a bit smaller around and I can get a better handle on it. If you are around Bill's North, let me know if you want to try them side by side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Why would I only want a .50 cal???? :twisted:

Only mall ninjas carry 500 mag. .50 cal is the biggest carry gun I would recommend you carry. Safety should be the important thing and 500 mag would not be (safe) in an urban setting as one shot would go it would go through 5-6 houses. Come on man, be responsible, do the right thing. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Can we get "mostly..'s" link added to the reference section? Great article for the caliber wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

zimme71 wrote:
I carry (daily) the XD40 Sub-Compact 3". It's an easy carry, easy to conceal, either at the 6 o'clock, or even 3 o'clock IWB. I shopped around quite a bit before purchasing my XD40, and ended up being able to find it for under $400 new. I personally highly recommend the .40, but that's just me. :)

I'm with this guy, altho I payed closer to 5, and carry OWB.

I've also shot some league and matches with SCAPSA last summer with it, and it's worked fine for me. Even had a comment from one of the 'regulars' in the club that I handled it well for a sub-comp 40. I'll hopefully be back out there some more this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:40 pm 

I shot a compact xd with both mags the short and the long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:41 pm 

ok i have decided i am going with my instinct on the xd and going with the xd 40 4". Does anyone know if when they had problems with the finish on them am i safe if i buy new we it is new but from 2006 is what they tell me.
thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:19 pm 

gooseman wrote:
ok i have decided i am going with my instinct on the xd and going with the xd 40 4". Does anyone know if when they had problems with the finish on them am i safe if i buy new we it is new but from 2006 is what they tell me.
thanks guys

I hadn't heard about a finish problem on the XD's, but I would assume that if there is a problem, it'd be covered under their lifetime warranty?? Either way, I don't think you'll regret going with the XD40. I put another 250 rounds through it this weekend without a stovepipe, nothing. I even tried the 'Blazer Brass' ammo (100 rounds), and was pretty impressed. I picked it up at Walmart for $12.50 /50 rounds, and it performed well (wadcutter). I'll probably start using that for range ammo, and keep looking for something for my carry. I don't recall what I have now, but it works well. I'm in the west suburbs, if you ever want to hit the Dakota range.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:20 pm 

gooseman wrote:
thanks guys

I hadn't heard about a finish problem on the XD's, but I would assume that if there is a problem, it'd be covered under their lifetime warranty?? Either way, I don't think you'll regret going with the XD40. I put another 250 rounds through it this weekend without a stovepipe, nothing. I even tried the 'Blazer Brass' ammo (100 rounds), and was pretty impressed. I picked it up at Walmart for $12.50 /50 rounds, and it performed well (wadcutter). I'll probably start using that for range ammo, and keep looking for something for my carry. I don't recall what I have now, but it works well. I'm in the west suburbs, if you ever want to hit the Dakota range.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 am 
Longtime Regular

I have seen early XD's where the finish was very prone to wearing off quickly and easily, they looked to be basically a blued finish, and many had rusting issues. The old finish was called "Bruniral". As I understand it, later and current versions of XD's use a different finish called "Melonite". Most sources seem to say the current finish they use is very durable. If I can go back and find the website I'll edit and post a link to verify, but most forums seem to agree. A good friend of mine bought an XD 9mm, sub compact in Spring 2007, and the finish looks as though it is brand new still, although the gun has had less than 500 rounds through it. Near as I can tell, anything made in 2006 or later should have the new finish, though I can't find a serial number cutoff point. One forum said the new finish came out as soon as SA started offering the .45 acp caliber in the XD. Anyone know any more about this?

*edit* Did some searching, and haven't come up with a reputable website I put any faith in. Most discussions have people claiming the Glock "Tennifer" finish is more durable than the XD's "Bruniral" finish, and the Melonite finish is very close to a Glock in durability if not the same. Hope this helps, if not at least you helped me burn a little time at work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 am 

westhope wrote:
Can we get "mostly..'s" link added to the reference section? Great article for the caliber wars.

And from the the end of the report.
In Conclusion, Bigger is always better.

Which I believe they where trying to say 45 is still the best :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:01 pm 

my $0.02.

i carry an XD 45 compact, both on duty (with 13 round mags) and concealed (with 10 round mags). this weapon is by far the best piece i've owned for carry yet. i have not only abused it by throwing every kind of ammo i could find down it, i've also tried everything i know how to induce a malfunction sans obstruction. i have failed to get this unit to act up. the finish holds up nice to daily wear and duty wear. it breaks down and cleans up easily.

get the caliber you are more comfortable with, but the XD in general, and particularly in the versatile compact, is a stellar piece of equipment i wouldn't trade for shiney kimber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 pm 

gooseman wrote:
thanks guys

So....any updates on your XD40 4" purchase? Been to the range at all? What do you think??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:12 pm 

I have been out of town so much for work that i haven't been able to get to the store to purchase one. I am kinda bummed about that but what can you do i might have my wife go and get me one while i am away for the week again but i will let you know when i get one thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:20 pm 

I shoot a 45 better than 40, with my Glocks. The 45 (30) seems more controlable for me than the 40 (27). I must be strange.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.