Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Handgun ammo recommendations 
 Post subject: Handgun ammo recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:35 pm 

Ok y'all....I just purchased my first handgun about 3wks ago (Springfield Sub-Compact XD40) that I absolutely have loved, and have put about 250 rounds through it so far w/o ANY issues at all (no stovepipes, jams, nothing!). I've got about 200 rounds of wadcutter, 165grain American Eagle, and 50 rounds of JHP 185grain, Fiocci (I think it was), and it's what I'm currently carrying. What I'd like to be able to do is purchase one brand of ammo, probably in bulk, to help save on $$$ since being married with 3 kids, mortgage, etc I don't have a lot to spend, and want to be able to hit the range as much as I can. Obviously then, I want to be able to have a round that's suitable for carrying as well as well as the range if possible, as well as cost efficient, burns clean, etc. Any recommendations? I've read some folks have recommended the Winchester Ranger ammo, which I see I can get at Cabela's, but that's a bit of a haul for me, although Bob at Cabin Fever said he could order it for me. I'd like to keep it around $.25 a round, if not less if possible (I know, I should've gone with a 9mm if that's the case). Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

I haven't found a decent all around .40 S&W round. I carry a M&P Compact and love both the gun and the round.

Streicher's often has 50 round boxes of carry ammo (Federal IIRC) for the price most places charge for 20. That at least makes it cost effective to shoot a couple mags each practice session just to keep the feel up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:48 pm 
1911 tainted

You can check here, they usually have sales going and changing all the time.

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?category=3

Might be kind of hard to find inexpensive defensive ammo that you would like to double as range ammo. What I would do to start, as finances permit, purchase 200 to 500 rounds of ammunition that you plan to use as carry ammunition. Don't have to buy all at once, buy 50 or what ever quantity and make sure that ammunition is reliable in your XD. Work up to the 200-500 rounds of your carry ammo through your XD to know that it is reliable. For practice ammo, buy what ever is cheap or on sale, you don't need to shoot high end defensive ammunition to practice with you handgun, but I personally would stay away from Wolf. I carry mostly Corbon and Speer Gold Dot because it is reliable, if you like the Winchester Ranger, that is a good choice if it works in your handgun. At the range if I am practicing, if not shooting handloads, I will shoot the cheap Federal American Eagle or S&B.

So pick up a box or two of the Ranger and a couple boxes of cheap practice ammo, you verify the carry ammo is reliable and you extend your practice time with the cheap ammo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:18 pm 

Nice purchase, zimme71. I also carry an XD40 sub-compact (great, great gun....no problems after 1000+ rounds, small and easy to carry, plus some nice safety and user features). That was also my first pistol (but not the last :wink: )

For the range, I typically use Blazer Brass or Winchester FMJ's (current prices seem to get you to about $.25 per round). I usually get these at Gander Mtn. (for what it's worth, stay away from Wolf ammo...it's filthy).

For carry, I load up Speer Gold Dot JHP's. Yes, they are spendy, but uber-reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:30 pm 

sheepdog wrote:
Nice purchase, zimme71. I also carry an XD40 sub-compact (great, great gun....no problems after 1000+ rounds, small and easy to carry, plus some nice safety and user features). That was also my first pistol (but not the last :wink: )

For the range, I typically use Blazer Brass or Winchester FMJ's (current prices seem to get you to about $.25 per round). I usually get these at Gander Mtn. (for what it's worth, stay away from Wolf ammo...it's filthy).

For carry, I load up Speer Gold Dot JHP's. Yes, they are spendy, but uber-reliable.

Thx.....I've been EXTREMELY happy with my purchase. Went this past Sunday out to the range at Dakota at Mystic with my friend who had a P3AT he'd never shot b4, and I had 2 jams, as did he (and we only fired about 6 clips through it). I almost bought that particular gun, but instead decided to buy the Springfield, and have been very happy with it. Like you said, the safety features, easy to carry and conceal, etc. I've heard about staying away from Wolf, and will have to check out Blazer Brass. I also need to get out to Walmart and see if they're reasonable on their prices. Who knows....I've got a birthday coming up....I've told all my family and friends I want ammo for presents!! Well, that....and my wife is buying the IWB holster I ordered from Srigs for my XD :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:49 pm 

I've had great luck with Hydrshock for carry. I've gotten in the habit of shooting my carry ammo once a year and never had any issues, and it looks better then Hornaday after a year. For the range i like the UMC 250 count brick I thinks it's cleaner then the rest of the mid price choices and no failures. If you want something to practice clearing Failures try Independent I was getting one or two per mag. It did the same thing in two XD's and a Glock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have been informed by a production heavy at federal that the Tactical bonded is there most rigorously tested round and also the most consistant in expansion and velocity.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 am 
On time out

Cabela's and CDNN ship for reasonable prices, so buying 4 or 5 boxes would still keep the shipped price reasonable, and keep you from using too much of that 3.09 gasoline.

Post subject: Re: Handgun ammo recommendations
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:40 am 

zimme71 wrote:
Ok y'all....I just purchased my first handgun about 3wks ago (Springfield Sub-Compact XD40) that I absolutely have loved, and have put about 250 rounds through it so far w/o ANY issues at all (no stovepipes, jams, nothing!). I've got about 200 rounds of wadcutter, 165grain American Eagle, and 50 rounds of JHP 185grain, Fiocci (I think it was), and it's what I'm currently carrying. What I'd like to be able to do is purchase one brand of ammo, probably in bulk, to help save on $$$ since being married with 3 kids, mortgage, etc I don't have a lot to spend, and want to be able to hit the range as much as I can. Obviously then, I want to be able to have a round that's suitable for carrying as well as well as the range if possible, as well as cost efficient, burns clean, etc. Any recommendations? I've read some folks have recommended the Winchester Ranger ammo, which I see I can get at Cabela's, but that's a bit of a haul for me, although Bob at Cabin Fever said he could order it for me. I'd like to keep it around $.25 a round, if not less if possible (I know, I should've gone with a 9mm if that's the case). Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

I've used Federal American Eagle, Blazer Brass and UMC for practice ammo and have found American Eagle is by far the cleanest. And the Blazer brass is cleaner than the UMC. I picked up a bunch of AE at Ammoman.com and I think he might be out of AE now but still carries Lawman at decent prices. Heard good things about Lawman but never tried it. Ammoman has it about 2 bucks cheaper a box than anyone else I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:29 am 

I guess I'm partial to Federal Hydroshock & Speer Gold Dot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:23 pm 
Journeyman Member

sheepdog must be my long lost twin.

Winchester FMJ red box for training and nothing but Speer Gold Dots for carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hydroshoks currently but I have about 500 HST rounds for my next carry ammo.

Shoot up your carry ammo every year??? - I pull the chambered round and put it in my range ammo about once a year... other then that my ammo is over 5 years old.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:24 pm 

beeger wrote:
I guess I'm partial to Federal Hydroshock & Speer Gold Dot.

Not sure if .40 will be the same, but my 9mm XD-SC HATES Hydroshock - had to switch to Pow R' Ball -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:27 pm 
The Man

I don't have an XD in 9mm -- .40 and .45 -- but both have eaten everything I've put through them. I like the XD.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.