Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Please tell me about the XD9 
 Post subject: Please tell me about the XD9
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 pm 

Hello All,

I am in the market for a new High Cap 9mm. I really liked the way the XD9 fit in my hand and the trigger pull was nice. Please talk to me about the following points.

1) Is the XD9 an appropriate weapon for IDPA competition?
2) Likes dislikes about the XD series
3) Reliability issues?
4) Concealibility issues? I prefer OWB carry. Pics would help!!!
5) I would consider the G19 or M&P9, however, I like the XD9 the best. That being said, if you can talk me out of the XD9, I would listen.
6) In(or near) the Twin Cities, who has the best price for the XD9??

I greatly appreciate any input!!!!

Thanks, Tony

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject: Re: Please tell me about the XD9
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Send nmat a private message if he doesn't jump in here. He shoots IDPA with a XD9, and is a damn good shot with it as well.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Please tell me about the XD9
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 pm 
The Man

aypstony wrote:
Hello All,

I am in the market for a new High Cap 9mm. I really liked the way the XD9 fit in my hand and the trigger pull was nice. Please talk to me about the following points.

1) Is the XD9 an appropriate weapon for IDPA competition?
Sure. I've shot my .40 XD on the rare occasions I can find the time for IDPA. (I'm not fast, but I have fun.)
Quote:

2) Likes dislikes about the XD series
Likes: reliability, pointability, chamber loaded indicator (even though I don't trust those, I like 'em), cocked indicator (ditto), very much so the grip safety, availability of mags. Dislikes: nobody's given me one for free.
Quote:

3) Reliability issues?
Not that I've seen.
Quote:

4) Concealibility issues? I prefer OWB carry. Pics would help!!!
The same as a Glock.
Quote:

5) I would consider the G19 or M&P9, however, I like the XD9 the best. That being said, if you can talk me out of the XD9, I would listen.
I'd be more likely to talk somebody into it than out of it, but just for the sake of completeness: the trigger reset in the XD isn't quite as short as that of the Glock. For really terrific shooters in certain gun games (not me), that could make a very small difference in scoring. That's the only downside I can think of.
Quote:

6) In(or near) the Twin Cities, who has the best price for the XD9??
Probably http://discountgundealer.com for a new one; probably Gunstop for used, if they've got one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:43 pm 

Question #2: What Joel said...plus the USA trigger system is also a nice safety feature. I also dislike the fact that nobody has given me a free XD.

#3: Been shooting an XD for a few years now without a single problem. They are known for their reliability. I would certainly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:16 pm 

The XD is a great gun that many use to shoot IDPA and such. I have owned one in the past and had no problems or issues with it. I think that XD, M&P and Glocks are all good choices, it's up to you and whatever you are the most comfortable with, for me it's Glock.

YMMV

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:49 pm 

Tony-

Regarding IDPA, the XD is great. I see a lot of them at matches. One thing that you should know is that the XD is in the Enhanced Service Pistol division. The M&P and Glock are in the Stock Service Pistol division.

The difference isn't an issue if you are just there to have fun. If you are serious about competing, there are faster guns for ESP.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 am 

Thanks for the responses!!! It sounds like the XD is a good firearm.

JoeH, I did not know the XD's were in the ESP division.....hmmmm. Some time down the road(when my kids are a little older), IDPA would be more for training and fun than competition.

For now, I better not eliminate the G19 or M&P9 as options.

One more question: Who has the best prices for new or used G19's or MP9's in the area? Is it still Brad from Davidson's(for new)? And Gunstop for used?

All good info!! Thanks, Tony

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Another XD40 owner here. . . I'd just be echoing what others have said. It is a fine piece of hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:07 am 

Check out the GSSF(Glock Shooting Sports Foundation) program. Join and they send a certificate to purchase at LEO pricing. I have never used it but I know that a number of people here have, someone will chime in with more info.

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

I've found good prices on guns at SHR Sales in Isanti, MN. - they would need to order it for you.
Good Luck - have fun!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:35 pm 

Have you considered the xd M9? or M40? 19 + 1 capacity
I have the XDM and it's an awesome gun other than the issue of releasing the mags when there 1/2 full or more. With time they break in and release much easier.
They have a match barrel. What difference that makes is not known to me. I'm not an experienced enough shooter in competition to know the difference. Someone else on this forum can chime in and explain that.
I own a Glock G34 that I plan on using for competition because the XD has me a little worried about speed loading. With more time I'm sure I will have gained confidence with the XDM and will use it in comps.
I carry an XD45 compact daily and love this gun. The safety on the backstrap adds a little security when using for a daily carry sidearm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:34 pm 
Journeyman Member

I own 2 if that says anything I love them. and so does my wife. probably buying 2 more in th next year just because.
i have xd40 service and xd9sc now want to buy a tactical 45 and a tactical 9.
I also need a carry gun so maybe xd40sc or if not a 3in 1911 in 9mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:19 pm 
On time out

I have a tactical 40 and had a 9 standard. I broke the slide stop on the .40 after a TON of rounds thru it, I called SA and they mailed me one to install and one for my parts box. I have not heard others having that issue, but the lady there was not at all opposed to shipping me a second one.

Its an easy gun to care for, once you learn the trick you can detail strip it and rebuild it in about 10 minutes.

I like mine, I shoot it well, and a lot of the people I have trained really like it, in 9 mm it was pussy cat, very easy to shoot well fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:54 am 
Longtime Regular

I like the XD platform but the grips were too slick for my liking. Easy fix with a rubber grtip sleeve.

Take a look at the S&W M&P 9 ... it has a heavy slide which eats the snap right out of a 9mm and shoots very nice for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 am 

Bought my XDM 9 in December, first auto pistol for me. I shoot about 100 rounds per week in a simulated ADP at Bill's. Fired the full clip 19+1 as fast as I could pull the trigger while keeping it pointed down range, no problem but hot smoking barrel. Fired it several times over a few weeks without cleaning to see how it performed with Blazer Brass--fired about 500 rounds before I would get an occaisional jam (typicall stove pipe). The problem could also have been from weak hand firing.

Also tried the XDM 9mm and .40 compacts at Bill's gunshow last week, thinking of getting a smaller version. The .40 seemed to be a git harsh on my trigger finger, the 9mm was like the standard size. I also like the simple operation, safety grip and trigger safety. Three different backstraps let you customize the grip size.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.