Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Not Exactly "On the Job" 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 am 
The Man

plblark wrote:
Well, he's very local to them ...
Not particularly; Gunstop is about twenty miles away from where Penaz lives.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

strike very then. I had assumed but we know how that works out. Actually, I mapped it and you're closer to GS than I thought. Closer than JP or I.

Doesn't stop me from stopping in though :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:55 am 
The Man

plblark wrote:
strike very then. I had assumed but we know how that works out. Actually, I mapped it and you're closer to GS than I thought. Closer than JP or I.

Doesn't stop me from stopping in though :-)
Sure. And Rothman lives even closer. That said, I don't think that Andrew's worth a recommendation because of his proximity to Gunstop, but, rather, because I think he does a good job in his classes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm 
In the time out chair

You know, this is a form of trademark infringement, and can be prosecuted, right? Microsoft and many others have been doing so in similar cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Plane Cents Self Defense
Some instructors feel that because they wrote a book, were in the military, or who knows what, it justifies charging you up to 3 times the price we at PCSD do.
from http://www.twincitiescarry.net/ :shock: Wow man. Just . .. . wow. But then you follow the link and get
Quote:
Page not found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
blah, blah. I don't get it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

OH! now I get it http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/2 ... 283042.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:29 pm 

Well imagine that he had to cancel his speaking engagement with us about his bounty hunting :cry: Maybe he can do it in the future if he's not to busy with his other stuff :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 pm 
The Man

jignjam wrote:
Well imagine that he had to cancel his speaking engagement with us about his bounty hunting :cry: Maybe he can do it in the future if he's not to busy with his other stuff :wink:
It's so hard to know when somebody's kidding about this, so if you're pulling my leg, you win: did Mango Joe Penaz really set up a speaking engagement about his bounty hunting?

I'd pay real money to see that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:15 am 

I'm not pulling your leg; he didn't set it up though. It would have been fun to hear what he had to say if I could have held back my laughter :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:45 pm 

joelr wrote:
Sheesh. Reminds me of another one.

(Caution: the proprietor of the Forum is not responsible for any eye bleeding that may occur upon clicking the above link.)

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Yep. Joe Penaz, a Waconia instructor and a friend of mine, had a couple of conversations with the proprietor and successfully convinced him that he had more to lose by posting the sign. Good for Joe!

Could anyone share some info on Joe Penaz? There seems to be some conflicting opinions about this instructor, or maybe his business practices?

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 pm 
The Man

Me, I got my bag of popcorn, and a cold pop. :)

ETA: not that it matters much, but I have no doubt that Penaz may well have gotten a guy to take down a sign. Not that it matters much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joe is a very nice guy with a...colorful...web site. He also puts an enormous number of students through carry courses.

I have never sat in on his permit class, but I have heard many people say that he doesn't necessarily cover everything a good instructor ought to. I know that more than a few have called me for after-class support.

I've politely steered them back to their own instructor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I have never sat in on his permit class, but I have heard many people say that he doesn't necessarily cover everything a good instructor ought to. I know that more than a few have called me for after-class support.

I've been trying, for years, to get out of my (unwanted, unsolicited, and uncomfortable) position of providing after-class support for Joe Penaz's students, and largely have succeeded, of late.

What I did notice, for some years, is that there were consistent patterns to the sorts of questions and problems that they had, and it was all stuff that should be covered in any carry class. That said, for all I know, they did get their bowling balls drilled and their floors recovered.

In terms of my direct observation, well, of all of the instructors who have been out on the bay at the range at the same time I have been, there has been one and only one who has been so inattentive that one of his students swept me with a gun.

Penaz later claimed that he apologized for that. I don't think that when he said, and I quote, "Well, when you put as many guys through as I do, this stuff'll happen, every now and then," that constituted an apology. I thought, and told him, that it was a "lame excuse for not paying attention."

Granted, it was only the one time.

After that, on the rare occasions that he's got his folks out at the range when I'm there with my students (they've usually swept in, each fired off their ten rounds, and swept out before I get there) if we have to use the same bay, I have my assistant stand by the window looking in, and start pounding to get his attention the moment that she sees unsafe stuff starting to happen.

He doesn't like that much, so I hear. Kinda too bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:21 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Joe is a very nice guy with a...colorful...web site. He also puts an enormous number of students through carry courses.

The first concealed carry course I took was at the Post 435 gun range. I could be mistaken but I believe it was the first concealed carry permit course given in Minnesota.

I took Joe's class when I needed to renew my permit because it was cheap, and no one had anything bad to say about it here.

The class did cover a lot of the information it was supposed to, but I did find it a bit lacking regarding legal topics. I was also a bit annoying that he would do stuff completely off topic like pass around his full-auto firearms, or talk about Glocks like he worked for the company.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 pm 

joelr wrote:
...In terms of my direct observation, well, of all of the instructors who have been out on the bay at the range at the same time I have been, there has been one and only one who has been so inattentive that one of his students swept me with a gun.

Penaz later claimed that he apologized for that. I don't think that when he said, and I quote, "Well, when you put as many guys through as I do, this stuff'll happen, every now and then," that constituted an apology. I thought, and told him, that it was a "lame excuse for not paying attention." ...

When I attended his class he had a mandatory waiver he wanted filled out. From the way I read it, he or any of the class could shot me they would not be held liable.

I was a bit on edge at when we went to Shady Lanes for "qualification".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.