Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Antis mount great push for "Gun show" bill 
 Post subject: Antis mount great push for "Gun show" bill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 am 
Wise Elder

Received from a legislator:

Quote:
----- Original Message -----

The gun control folk are blasting out this email from their constituencies. I've received over 20 in the last 90 minutes.

------------------------------

>>> Jennifer Schara <@bitlaw.com> 3/10/2009 10:47 AM >>>
I am writing today to urge you to support H.F. 953/S.F. 1165, which would finally close the loophole in Minnesota law that provides a legal way for people disqualified from owning a pistol or assault weapon to buy one, no questions asked. [Not so, see 624.7141] This bill deserves a hearing.

The Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association supports H.F. 953/S.F. 1165. [Not according to MCPA staff.] Recent news reports have shown that Mexican drug cartels are getting high-powered firearms [5.56, 7.62x39 ???]from the loosely-regulated American market -- including unlicensed sellers -- and using them to assassinate police officials. [Mexican authorities refuse to disclose serial numbers so can't verify this claim.] It is naive to think this can't happen here, where gangs have easy access to pistols and assault weapons through legal avenues. [And even EASIER access through their local drug dealer.]

I urge you to support H.F. 953/S.F. 1165. We know that Twin Cities gangs have received trafficked guns from private sales in Pillager, MN [one] ; that the Hennepin County Government Center shooter got her gun at a gun show with no background check required [one]; and that in-state Internet sales of pistols and assault weapons are occurring with no background checks [How do they "know"?].

H.F. 953 is not gun registration [DPS can order records kept forever.], and no qualified person would be denied the ability to buy a gun because of this bill.

H.F. 953 would require anyone buying a pistol or assault weapon to pass a background check, not just those individuals who purchase through a federally licensed dealer. A report from the ATF found that the second leading source of weapons recovered in illegal gun trafficking investigations were gun shows, and that 22,500 guns in one 17-month period were trafficked through unlicensed sellers [Average number of guns involved in a single investigation was 130. These were NOT private sales between friends].

Please [swallow our lies and] stand up for our police and for public safety by supporting HF 953.

[emphasis added by Kimberman]

It is time for a counter-offensive. Get those short letters and e-mails going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 pm 
On time out

I just sent the managing partner of Bitlaw a letter saying I resented his corporation allowing staff to use their email as an endorsement of a political scare tactic.

Here's the addy, dtysver@bitlaw.com Daniel Tysver is the managing partner.

Mr Tysver,

I just received an email from Ms Jennifer Schara at your firm who is using your corporate Email for personal, and political use. This email was in concern of a Minn House bill which has nothing to do with your line of work. I find it offensive to be targeted by her email which are by default, insinuating that your firm supports this bill.

As a patent holder, and one who is looking at a future patent, I will not contact your firm for any of my pending legal work as I find this use of company features as less than professional, and less than ethical.

Signed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
I just sent the managing partner of Bitlaw a letter saying I resented his corporation allowing staff to use their email as an endorsement of a political scare tactic.

Mr Tysver,

I just received an email from Ms Jennifer Schara at your firm who is using your corporate Email for personal, and political use. This email was in concern of a Minn House bill which has nothing to do with your line of work. I find it offensive to be targeted by her email which are by default, insinuating that your firm supports this bill.

As a patent holder, and one who is looking at a future patent, I will not contact your firm for any of my pending legal work as I find this use of company features as less than professional, and less than ethical.

Signed.

good for you!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:05 pm 

PocketProtector642 wrote:
1911fan wrote:

Mr Tysver,

Signed.

good for you!

+1 Let us know if you get a response

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 pm 

[response to my letter]

Dear Joe,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Rep. Paymar's HF 953/SF1165.

As a AA- rated NRA office holder in Minnesota, I want you to know I agree with your concern regarding this obnoxious, constitutionally-robbing, gun regulating attempt to rob us of our constitutional gun rights.

Please be assured I will do whatever it takes to kill this bill. As always, I will be working with the members of the GOCRA to deny this bill's passage.

Now that it is on our radar, we will look for it daily.

Thank you for sending the alarm. If you hear of any developing news on this issue, please feel free to call me at the Senate office at 651-296-2159

Sincerely,

Warren Limmer
State Senator

St. Paul, MN 55155-1206
Office: 651.296.2159
Fax: 651.296.5241
E-Mail: sen.warren.limmer@senate.mn

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm 

Here is a reply I received from Senator Linda Higgins:

Quote:
Dear ... :

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding SF 1165. I believe listening to my constituents is one of the most important jobs I have here at the Capitol. The firearm background check bill is an important issue to me and I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns.

Under current law in Minnesota, background checks are required when a gun is bought from a sporting goods store or any other federally licensed dealer, but gun sales involving unlicensed dealers are exempt. An estimated 40 percent of firearms sales involve buyers whose backgrounds have not been checked by unlicensed dealers at gun shows, in newspaper and Internet ads, and through private sales.

The proposed legislation aims to keep guns out of the wrong hands and would not prevent law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms. Senate File 1165 requires background checks for all gun sales to ensure handguns and assault weapons are not sold to criminals and other prohibited purchasers.

The bill was sent to the Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member. I look forward to hearing the testimony. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Cordially,

Senator Linda Higgins
Proudly Representing Downtown and North Minneapolis

I wrote back offering a counterpoint to her assertion that this will not prevent law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms, explaining that the extra costs will make the situation arduous. And criminals won't follow their new procedures any better than they follow other laws.

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigBlue wrote:
I wrote back offering a counterpoint to her assertion that this will not prevent law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms, explaining that the extra costs will make the situation arduous. And criminals won't follow their new procedures any better than they follow other laws.
BB

Good work, keep it up guys!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:46 pm 
On time out

Bringing back a post from the dead.

Today I received a PM from Mr Tsyver regarding my email...

He joined here because he states he did not receive my email, but he read the post, and felt he needed to respond.

He states that his small company has no one of that name on board, nor does it have any permutations which might make sense as an alias.

He is putting this down to spoofing or fraudulent use of his email address by someone in the brady camp. I deleted my original sometime ago, but I know some others of you got it as well, if you still have the original, maybe one of the Cyber sleuths on here can track down its true origins. I remember cracking the heading and it did appear to be a real address at the time.

That said. Mr Tsyver I appreciate your taking the time to track me down and PM me civily about that post. I will retract it based on your letter and apologize to you for any harm that might have happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 am 

If anyone does have a copy of the email, you can send it to me and I will try to get some details on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 am 
The Man

If anybody can assist Mr. Tysver by getting him a copy of the original email -- complete with headers -- I think that would be a good thing.

I'd like a copy, too; my curiosity is piqued.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
If anybody can assist Mr. Tysver by getting him a copy of the original email -- complete with headers -- I think that would be a good thing.

Same here. I'm a bored IT guy. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:59 am 

mrokern wrote:
joelr wrote:

Same here. I'm a bored IT guy. :wink:

Same.

Plus, that might be theft of services, if it were forged. Shame, Brady-folks...SHAME! :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Same here (not so much bored IT, but IT.)

As much information as possible would be best. Also, if the law firm has an IT firm there will probably be some info needed from him as well.

Odds are, there won't be a way to discover who sent it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:11 pm 

Sign me up for the IT job that's boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

djeepp wrote:
Sign me up for the IT job that's boring.

LOL It's not the job, I'm just (GASP) actually caught up at the moment! 8)

No fires to put out.

Now watch, here's where everything crashes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.