Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Ruger SP-101 
 Post subject: Ruger SP-101
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 am 

Finally! I got around to trying my new (to me) SP-101. It's the 2-1/4 inch version, with stock rubber grips.

Loaded with 140-grain (or so) .38 specials, the recoil is noticeable but not unpleasant. I shot a few cylinders double-action. The trigger isn't light but is certainly good enough for a carry gun.

Then I stoked it with 135-grain .357 hollow points. OW! Five of them was enough for one outing. Even my elbow hurt. (I have an old 'tennis elbow' thing going on.)

Even with a short barrel and rather crude sights, it groups pretty well. I shot it at about 8 yards, figuring that would be about the typical distance I'd need it.

I left it loaded with .38s, in case my wife needs it. I suggested to her that she wouldn't want to use magnum loads in it. Ever.

jb

edit: I shot it from 8 YARDS, not years. Units, schmunits!

John Farnam (I believe)

Last edited by JonnyB on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:08 am 
Raving Moderate

I love mine- I've got the 3-inch variety. Hogue makes a nice grip that cushions the recoil a bit, but yeah, magnums will get your attention. Of course, in that short a barrel, they'll both wound and fricassee whatever you're shooting at... :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject: Re: Ruger SP-101
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular

I like mine, too. Some guys says they can shoot Magnums just fine with the stock grips, but those guys are tougher than me. Me, I went out the next day and bought the Hogue Monogrip for about $25. Then you can shoot the flaming monster ammo in relative comfort -- but I recommend earplugs and earmuffs, especially indoors!

Post subject: Re: Ruger SP-101
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 am 
The Man

Pat Cannon wrote:
I like mine, too. Some guys says they can shoot Magnums just fine with the stock grips, but those guys are tougher than me. Me, I went out the next day and bought the Hogue Monogrip for about $25. Then you can shoot the flaming monster ammo in relative comfort -- but I recommend earplugs and earmuffs, especially indoors!

Depends what you mean by "just fine." If you mean "with acceptable accuracy and pain rarely found this side of the Inquisition," then I can shoot Magnums just fine with the stock grips.

I picked up another SP101 at GunStop on Saturday. The new guy there asked, politely, "Can I show you the gun?"

"Sure. While you're wrapping it up and doing the paperwork, if you feel like it."

We both smiled.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Do they have more? What price were they running approx?

SP101 is on my list. I had been placing it #2 on my buy list (under a CZ P-06 or a Ruger 345, with whichever I didn't buy taking the #3 slot) I intend to buy all three. Increasingly, I have been thinking about bumping the SP101 to #1 and letting the other two fight for the #2 slot.

Anyway, thoughts? Now that my AR is not lacking glass, I am in a shopping mood.

Oh, Jeremiah, was it easy to find a holster/ what holster are you using for the 3"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 am 
The Man

Macx wrote:
Do they have more? What price were they running approx?

SP101 is on my list. I had been placing it #2 on my buy list (under a CZ P-06 or a Ruger 345, with whichever I didn't buy taking the #3 slot) I intend to buy all three. Increasingly, I have been thinking about bumping the SP101 to #1 and letting the other two fight for the #2 slot.

Anyway, thoughts? Now that my AR is not lacking glass, I am in a shopping mood.
There were two left; one with a hammer in .357, one in .327. Don't know if they're still there -- worth a call.

About $450.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:08 pm 

Mine has a hammer spur but it's my intent to do away with it. The dang thing snags on stuff (well, on everything).

Anyone know if I can simply cut it off and still get solid ignition? Or, must I replace it with a spur-less model?

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 pm 
The Man

JonnyB wrote:
Mine has a hammer spur but it's my intent to do away with it. The dang thing snags on stuff (well, on everything).

Anyone know if I can simply cut it off and still get solid ignition? Or, must I replace it with a spur-less model?

jb
I've yet to see a problem with that kind of modification. In theory, if the now-despurred hammer is too light, there could be an ignition problem, so test it. In practice, I've never seen that happening.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 am 

It was love at first sight when I got the first SP101. Spurred, it's never snagged coming out of the Mika pocket holster. And I TRIED to get it to snag.

Long story short, as soon as my darlin' daughter saw mine, it wasn't 'mine' any longer.

Of course, had to pick up another one. And another Mika.

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 am 
The Man

Well, yeah; my daughter Judy got the one that was mine for her 18th birthday; I had to get another one, and finally found one at Gunstop a few weeks ago.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 am 
Raving Moderate

Macx wrote:
Oh, Jeremiah, was it easy to find a holster/ what holster are you using for the 3"

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. As far as holsters, I'm a lefty- nothing is easy to find holsters for. :wink: There are quite a few out there to fit it, however. Me, I use a Mika pocket holster in an inner vest pocket in the fall/winter, and I made my own OWB holster for it otherwise.

My .02? Call Srigs- his prices are good, as is his work. Or Bob Mika for a pocket holster- the praise I gave Srigs applies here as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup, I eneded up buying a CZ Rami with my SP101 money and Srigs is hooking me up with a holster for that. Of course when I do get around to buying an SP101 I'll be asking Srigs to hook me up with a holster for that. 'Course now that my Alaskan is back in baby's arms, I am not feeling the urgency to have a revolver laying around. Leather for the big chunk I am totally torn betweena sking Srigs to make me something concealable and asking Simply Rugged to make me something more open carry oriented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:53 pm 
Raving Moderate

Can't go wrong with the Rami, either. And the Alaskan is a thing of beauty. I need one one of these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx, the Simply Rugged Sourdough hides my Alaskan quite well, even under a T shirt that is slightly oversized.

It pulls it in very flat and it actually makes less of a bulge than my G30 in an Avenger OWB.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:42 pm 

The Ruger SP-101 is definitely the gun I'll want to get to carry around when I'm in the cities, of course I'll have to set enough money aside for it first. As of now I have a S&W 629 with a 4" but I mostly carry that when I'm out on aour wooded property in Wisconsin, there be bears out there! :shock: :)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.