Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Attitudes of Gun Shops in Cities? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 pm 

joelr wrote:
Yup. Good guys in both places, but I definitely recommend Frontiersman for new folks. Marv and Paul, while not at all salesmany in any bad way, really do have the good riffs down.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah. I found the vibe at GunStop a bit odd. It was the first time in 30-odd years of shooting and visiting shops coast-to-coast that I couldn't get counter help. I knew what I was looking for (1911) and saw several likely specimen in the case, I just couldn't seem to get past that point.

If someone doesn't want new customers, I'm happy to oblige.

Post subject: Re: No sweat!
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 pm 

lastgunshop wrote:
They might want to ask to talk to the Mgr. In my case at my shop I'm the Mgr. :lol:

You still don't point loaded guns at customers do you? I was in your shop a long time ago looking at a what I thought was a Kevlar helmet with a friend. I remember one of us asking if it was bullet proof, to which you responded: "Try it on and we'll see." while drawing you pistol and pointing it at us.

I'm sure you found it hilarious, but it annoyed us a bit. Maybe you just didn't like kids/youth in your store. :P

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 pm 

For what it's worth, I bought my first revolver at Gunstop a few months back, and I was actually really pleased with the service. I didn't have to drop any names or say any magic words. Then again, maybe I intimidated them into helping me with my 5'10" chiseled body and stern demeanor. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 pm 

I guess I'll drop my opinion on dealing with various gun shops in the Twin Cities.

Bill's at Robbinsdale

I've only been here three times. The first time was for my friend's bachelor's party where we took advantage of Bill's full auto offerings. The second was for my permit to carry class and the third time was to buy a gun. I have to say I had a few people help me there when I was looking for a carry gun, all of them were quiet helpful as well as polite. I ended up walking out with my Springfield XD. I have no complaints.

Cabela's

I don't generally buy and big ticket items here, and have never purchased a gun from them (I like to give the big money to the small guys). But anytime I've been there to pick up powder or other various reloading supplies that I couldn't acquire elsewhere I didn't have any complaint. I didn't get much help but I don't usually expect that in a large store such as Cabela's. Overall I have no real pros and no real cons.

Gander Mountain in Eden Prairie

Because of the prices I really haven't bought anything here. So the only comment I have is the fact they charge too much for most everything.

Ammo Craft

I do most of my business with Ron nowadays. He's a great guy to deal with, fun to B.S. with, and he usually has what I need for reloading supplies. His selection of handguns and non-traditional hunting rifles isn't as good as other places (although I did get my AR-15 when nobody else seemed to have them in stock) but he can order in almost everything (he said the only thing he can't get are Benelli guns). He always treats me well and he's prices are very good (for instance that AR-15 would have been close to $1000.00 at many places and he sold it to me for $850.00).

Gun Stop

What I don't do with Ron I usually end up doing here. When it comes to reloading supplies these guys have you covered and then some. Sometimes you will be waiting for a while for help but that's usually because they are busy helping other customers. This doesn't bother me because of the simple fact that they are willing to help people. I haven't purchased a gun from them yet but I did convince my friend to buy his Glock 19 there. Overall their prices are great and their staff is knowledgeable and fun to talk to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 am 
Raving Moderate

I hereby nominate this thread for the "Reanimated Corpse that Refuses to Die" award... :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject: Sad but not uncommon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 am 
Journeyman Member

Your experience is shameful, but not real surprising. That kind of attitude is very common in the Twin Cities. Even the chains like Gander and Cabellas can be the same way. I have seen this in many shops and find it repulsive. Makes me want to get an FFL just so I don't need these places anymore. I would like to see a shop that actually cares about talking to their customers. They would get my business and my recomendations to friends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:26 am 

Since this thread is still alive, I wanted to give a shout-out to the Wolf's Den in Hugo. It's kind of a hole-in-the-wall, but I've found some fantastic deals there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Great Experience
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm 
Journeyman Member

Visited DK Mags in New brighton today and was treated better and with more respect than any shop I have visited in the Metro. The guys were very helpful and not that they were actually knowledgeable as well. I will definitely do more business there. A Big Thumbs Up!!!

Post subject: Re: Great Experience
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:35 pm 

diskdoctr@yahoo.com wrote:
Visited DK Mags in New brighton today and was treated better and with more respect than any shop I have visited in the Metro. The guys were very helpful and not that they were actually knowledgeable as well. I will definitely do more business there. A Big Thumbs Up!!!

I've stopped out there a few times to pick up some mags and Kevin was great, he even let me return a mag that was sticking in my gun months after I bought it, after I had lost the receipt, and gave me a new one. They have a DEEP inventory of magazines and accessories, not to mention a nice selection of firearms, all at good prices (my new alternative to shopping the net). Both times I've been there the vibe was friendly and guns were discussed at great length, and like diskdoctr, I highly recommend DK Mags to all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:26 pm 

Urban Phantom wrote:
like diskdoctr, I highly recommend DK Mags to all.

Thanks for that, I can't believe that there's a gun shop a couple miles from my house that I've never heard about.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:42 am 

cryptical wrote:
Urban Phantom wrote:
like diskdoctr, I highly recommend DK Mags to all.

Thanks for that, I can't believe that there's a gun shop a couple miles from my house that I've never heard about.

In the past they only did business on the internet, but recently have opened their doors to the public, so it's basically a new store. I only discovered that they had a storefront when I contacted them about some mags for sale online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:32 am 

What's their website and/or address?
b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:48 am 
Journeyman Member

lets see.... go to search bar... type in "DK Mags new brighton"
That was easy, now wasn't it?
And took.... let's see........3.4 seconds. Now.... how long did it take me to post this useless post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:15 am 

Here's a link to DK Mags website: https://www.dkmags.com/ and I originally discovered them on Gunbroker.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 am 

replicant_argent wrote:
lets see.... go to search bar... type in "DK Mags new brighton"
That was easy, now wasn't it?
And took.... let's see........3.4 seconds. Now.... how long did it take me to post this useless post?

Interesting - they didn't come up last night, today they do. No idea why that happened.

Thanks for the useless post ;)

Or, we could have done this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dkmags+new+brighton%2C+mn

b

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.