Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Once Upon a Crime - bookstore 
 Post subject: Once Upon a Crime - bookstore
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

604 W 26th Street (a little east of Lyndale) They had a sign that read:

plots with
Guns allowed
on these premises

Once Upon a Crime Books

Of course I totally missed the fine print & meant to just go in and thank the proprietor .. . . but we got sucked in. I was walking with wife, child and stroller & we'd just spent quite a while in the park. So my child explored the store and the owner and I chatted. I picked up yet another Ellis Peters book (because I only had my DL, Carry Permit, and enough cash for one paperback with a buck to spare. Ellis Peters is one of my target of opportunity authors. The owner didn't flinch at all at as we came the the realization that I'd failed to read the fine print & was very kind with my 18 month old child running around.

I'll be going back there and I encourage others interested in the mystery/thriller genre to buy your books there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 pm 
The Man

Love that place; I've spoken there, a couple of times, and they carry my mysteries.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 pm 

Mysteries? :?:

Abraham Lincoln

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

The man has some other books out besides the fantasy ones. That's a good reminder, I've been meaning to look for them...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 pm 
The Man

PoorSSJ wrote:
Mysteries? :?:
Home Front and Family Matters. David Gross has a small cameo in one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not that Joel needs the press, but I thought both books referenced were excellent. Joel writes specifically, but not with a lot of wasted words. He really paints a vivid picture, brings the characters, who are real people with faults, to life, all while keeping the reader engaged in the story. If you find his books, pick them up, you will not be disappointed.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I enjoyed the hell out of Home Front and Family Matters, and have reread them several times. They are that good.

Knowing Joel, it's a little odd hearing his voice as I read the words, which are, not surprisingly, very Joelish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ditto for me; great books!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like I know what and where I am buying, next time my money clip is thicker.

I take it that Home Front and Family Matters aren't under a pseudonym?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:21 am 
The Man

Macx wrote:
Sounds like I know what and where I am buying, next time my money clip is thicker.

I take it that Home Front and Family Matters aren't under a pseudonym?
Nope. I don't use those.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:05 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I enjoyed the hell out of Home Front and Family Matters, and have reread them seveerak times. They are that good.

Knowing Joel, it's a little odd hearing his voice as I read the words, which are, not surprisingly, very Joelish.
I dunno. I deliberately let Sparky -- the narrator, for those who haven't read the books -- have a narrative voice very similar to mine. But, at least in my head, he's the only one who sounds at all like me. Tenishia was a lot of work, and Bridget's, well, herself. Where I do appear -- Josh Ginsberg is me, actually, and by no particular coincidence, his best friend was my best friend when I lived in Northwood, and I don't think he sounds at all like me, now, but more like I did some decades ago.

And, at least to my ear, David Gross sounds like David Gross. Only a little less prickly. (David and I actually discussed that, when he helped me with the scene where he appears.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, yeah, I was thinking of Sparky in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:29 am 
Gun-Toting Liberal

We actually have a few nationally known bookstores, Once upon a Crime, Uncle Hugo and Uncle Edgar's, Midway Books. J&J Books in Anoka used to be an almost daily haunt of mine growing up. I was first exposed to Doc Savage and John Carter of Mars there as well as Heinlein, Lovecraft, Micheal Moorecock, Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour, Frank Herbert, Jerry Pournelle, Gordon Dickson, John D. McDonald and at least fifty others. Jean sold out or some such a few years ago but it used to be (and may still be) if you wanted a rare mystery that was the second place you called. Books and magazines are a lot like groceries to me I go shopping for them almost daily and I start twitching if I don't have something to read.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

Once Upon is about the only place authors are guaranteed to stop for a signing in the Cities. I've been to reading/signings there for people like Randy Wayne White, T Jefferson Parker, Lawrence Block and James Lee Burke. When they haven't done any of the B&N mall stops, they still go there.

My only complaint is that when someone popular is there, you have to find a seat with a shoehorn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok, I've got to get a plug in for Once Upon A Crime as well.

I took the day off today to spend with my wife (her birthday), and we spent the early afternoon at MIA. Driving back towards Lyndale, I happened to see the sign for OUAC and just about gave us whiplash spinning around to get a parking spot.

$75+ later...

I left with a signed copy of Family Matters, and the owner is going to look for a copy of Home Front for me.

Now, regardless of Joel's signature, it certainly didn't cost me $75 for one book...

So yeah, my wife left with a ton of books as well. Last minute birthday presents. :lol:

Great place, my wife and I loved it. I think they just got two more regulars.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.