Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Taurus 605 
 Post subject: Taurus 605
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:00 am 

Howdy guys! I just picked up a Taurus 605 .357 today. I'm sure I'll probably only fire .38s through it but either way I'm sure it'll let me know that it went off with a good swift kick being that I had cap guns as a kid that were bigger than this thing.

Originally I had picked up a Rossi 351 but when I got home noticed that the firing pin had snapped off. Thankfully they were very accommodating at the Frontiersman and let me chose a new gun and handle the warranty stuff themselves. They definitely are keeping my business.

So, having a limited budget, I wanted to keep my cost below $400 and did that with the Taurus. I've read reviews that have folks either loving them or hating them, one guy saying the gun nearly blew up in his hand another said he's fired over 500 rounds through his and it runs like a Swiss clock. Unfortunately the one really beautiful older .38 S&W had a 4" or I would have jumped at it.

Now I'm hoping that I didn't get a lemon that'll fail to fire or blow my hand off. Any personal reviews?

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:30 am 
The Man

Not a problem; Tauruses are fine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 am 
Raving Moderate

joelr wrote:
Not a problem; Tauruses are fine.

Yup. ANY manufacturer puts out a lemon now and again; in general, most any major manufacturer's firearms are going to be fine. (Though if you get yourself a Raven, you're on your own... :wink: )

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

The 605 is a great gun. My father-in-law carries his every day and was actually not bad shooting full power 357s in it.

Enjoy the gun. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:24 pm 

Thanks everyone! :D

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Taurus and Rossi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:33 pm 

I had 0 problems with my Taurus 605. I have several Taurus pistols and have never had a problem with them, including a .44 mag that has fired literally hundreds of hot handloads.

On the other hand, I had 1 full size Rossi .357 that was nothing but trouble with frequent extractor and cylinder problems that put the gun out of comission.

Both guns are made to a price point, and you get what you pay for in terms of fit and finish but I carry my taurus (taurii?) without hesitation. I'll never buy another Rossi at any price. My experience FWIW.

Hobie

Post subject: Re: Taurus and Rossi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hobie wrote:
I had 0 problems with my Taurus 605. I have several Taurus pistols and have never had a problem with them, including a .44 mag that has fired literally hundreds of hot handloads.

I agree with Hobie. I have had a few Taurus guns over the years and all have been fine. I currently have a 4" 24/7 and like it very much.

Post subject: Re: Taurus 605
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

pablobear wrote:
Howdy guys! I just picked up a Taurus 605 .357 today. I'm sure I'll probably only fire .38s through it but either way I'm sure it'll let me know that it went off with a good swift kick being that I had cap guns as a kid that were bigger than this thing.

I see it's 24 oz. -- that's heavy for a snubby, a hair heavier than my Ruger SP101 even, which I thought was the heaviest gun in its class. So it won't be painful to shoot like the 12 or 13-oz exotic-alloy guns. Is the grip hard or soft? If it's hard, yeah, Magnums will smart some. There might be a cushier aftermarket grip available; I got a Hogue for my Ruger for about $25 and it makes the rip-snorting ammo quite tolerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm 

It actually comes with a nice soft grip. It might not feel so soft when I try firing it, but I'll give it a go. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.