Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Death of .25 and .32 Calibers? 
 Post subject: The Death of .25 and .32 Calibers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:08 pm 

Since their are so many lightweight and compact .380s and even 9mm pistols nowadays, I wonder if the market for .25 and .32 caliber pistols, might just dry up and eventually disappear altogether. The.22 compacts might potentially remain since the round is used in rifles and full sized target pistols, but I just don't see the other two caliber's having much life left in them. Anyone here using either of these?

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Harland on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Death of .25 and .32 Calibers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a few .32 and one .25. I don't carry the .25, but I have carried the KelTec P32 on occasion.

I'm pretty sure nobody has seriously used .25 in years, but the pistols will never totally go away. There has been such a huge number of them made that even if you treat them as disposable (and many of them are) that they will be around for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 pm 

Sometimes carry an old colt 1903 .32 when I really want to make sure there is no chance of printing

Just came back from the range and along with my report on 3 CZ (CZ forum) had to add this at the end:

"Lastly have to mention that my little 1930's model 1903 colt .32 is still a contender. I know it has no knock down power but with 50 rounds of Remington, 50 rounds of Winchester and 10 rounds of gold dot it never missed the center bull on a silhouette target at 21 feet. Never prints at all so it does get carried on the occasional hot summer day."

Seems without much stopping power getting 8 into the right place with gold dot HP's should at least slow em down.

Last edited by larryflew on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 pm 
In the time out chair

As viable defensive guns they have been dead for a long time. they are still used, but frankly, they have never been a defensive gun since the advent of modern surgical and antibiotics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:10 am 

I've never shot one of the KelTec P32s, but given the cost of it's ammo (about the same as .380), and the cost of it compared to similar polymer pistols, I just can't see anyone leaning towards them at purchase time unless they are very sensitive to recoil. You'll notice all the pocket pistols coming out lately are all 380s. This is not a .380 vs .XXX argument- as everyone knows, there are plenty here who think the .380 is inadequate- it's just that the manufacturers are really keeping it afloat, what with the new Ruger LCP, Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle, Sig .380, etc. I have not seen any new .25s or .32s that I can recollect.

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Just remember, the 25 ACP is a legal deer hunting cartridge in Minnesota due the the rule change a year or so ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 am 

westhope wrote:
Just remember, the 25 ACP is a legal deer hunting cartridge in Minnesota due the the rule change a year or so ago.

Well, I'm not a big Deer hunter, but is that really a good idea? I wouldn't trust it to stop a man.

-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:44 pm 

Okay, I'll invite the flames. I own a Jiminez (think rebranded Raven) .25 automatic. Yes, it's disposable. It also fits a specific niche. Is it my ideal carry gun? Emphatically not. Is it better than no gun? I think so.

The circumstances where I would expect to have to use it are specific as are the few times I've carried it. Statistically (yes, I know betting my life on statistics calls into question my intellgence - nothing new there) just brandishing it will de-escalate the situation and the bad guy will look for an easier target. And if it comes to it, it will make a hole in a person under ideal circumstances.

I say ideal because I also have first hand knowledge of a Lake County, Illinois Sheriff who was shot in the face at point blank range with a .25. The FMJ bullet hit his forehead, traveled under the skin never penetrating the skull and exited out the back of his head. Stayed over night in the hospital for observation but other than powder burns and a couple small holes no other problems.

Completely unscientific and non-controlled field testing has also shown that the FMJs bounce off a lot of surfaces that a .22 and 9mm have no problems penetrating. Wood, metal, glass. I never tried hunting with a .25 simply because I can't hit anything more than 5 feet away with the 2 I've had and the sights on them were horrible.

I'm not getting rid of it any time soon but it almost never comes out of the safe either. Apologies if some of the above is thread drift.

Hobie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

It is my opinion that the .25 ACP is useless as a defensive round, unless you intend to make the perp so mad that he somehow forgets that it was you that made him mad. Although, as was said in an earlier post, sometime just the sight of a gun can make the threat go away. That said, in many ways the .32 is in the same category....It does have a better reputation and would be a better choice... I don't see either of them going away due to their size and their novelty....The .32 espesially will be around for a long time for those reasons. Purely my opinion. I have guns in both calbers. The .25 was a Raven, and ok to shoot but founds bullets laying on the ground under cardboard targets at 15ft. The .32 was better, and a great litte piece for concealing. I personally carry a 9mm and would not go smaller for a carry piece.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

What is that old saying? "Any firearm beats throwning rocks?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

My favorite saying about the .25 acp is: If you shoot me with a .25 and I find out about it, I'm gonna be pissed.

I think you're right Harland. I'm not sure if it's engineering marvels or just people's perception of recoil that has changed to make the mouse-sized 380's more popular than ever. Heck even the 9mm's are getting rather puny.

Of course, Ruger introduced that new .327 mag last year, so I guess there will still be some demand for that .32.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Harland wrote:

Quote:
Well, I'm not a big Deer hunter, but is that really a good idea? I wouldn't trust it to stop a man.

Just a rule change by the DNR to make the 223/5.56 a legal deer round. The rule now is any centerfire cartridge. The 25 ACP is a centerfire cartridge.

I do not agree with the rule change. I think it was a mistake. I like the old legal deer round minimum. My father talked about taking many deer with a 22 LR (shining) when he was young. We would use the 22 LR to kill cattle for butchering each year. In the right hands and with very selective shots, yes the 223 will work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I still like my 32 in P32. It is fun to shoot.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:40 am 

Srigs wrote:

Well that's a position that's hard to argue with. :lol:

-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:09 am 
In the time out chair

Harland wrote:
Srigs wrote:

Well that's a position that's hard to argue with. :lol:

True, I was mentally limiting myself to the ACP's as well, but I also should add, that the .32 in a revolver is flat out fun and useful too. I have a .32 H&R in a ruger single six, and thats a very fun and useful camp gun. Very light, packs a decent punch, and if loaded light, will put game in the pot very nicely

I know of someone who has Marlin 1894 and single six combo that he uses a lot in texas, he has killed many hogs with head shots from both. I think a very cool rifle for the .32 would be an upsized remington 572 pump.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.