Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kel-Tec p3AT comments 
 Post subject: Kel-Tec p3AT comments
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:08 am 

I got the Kel-Tec p3at, decent little gun for its size but running into some reliability issues with it. It is currently on it's way back to the factory, the take down pin keeps sliding out (when at the range) and has damaged part of the slide.

I have to confess I did little to no research before buying this gun, it was one of those impulse purchases.

Anyone have any comments?

Post subject: Re: Kel-Tec p3AT comments
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:20 am 
Forum Moderator

Sean Reagan wrote:
I got the Kel-Tec p3at, decent little gun for its size but running into some reliability issues with it. It is currently on it's way back to the factory, the take down pin keeps sliding out (when at the range) and has damaged part of the slide.

I have to confess I did little to no research before buying this gun, it was one of those impulse purchases.

Anyone have any comments?

I've never shot one, but when I've looked at them in the store they've seemed a little chintzy, and the big gap between the frame and the slide looked like a red-carpet invitation for dirt/grime.

My take on it has always been it's a cheap, concealable gun that you shoot for self-defense and for little other reason. Kind of a disposable gun.

I think for the money, the Kahrs seem better put together. Their .45s look interesting, but I don't know if they're shipping yet or if they're any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:54 am 

I'm seriously interested in one of these and have been perusing some of the discussion boards and websites relating to the kel-tec pistols. I'm thinking about getting one for the occasions where I just can't or don't want to conceal my 45. Just one of those things to always have in my pocket...

I'm also quite a tinkerer. It's funny because I've taken up hobbies that really got me interested and once I've gotten past the hands on part of building or whatever I've lost interest. R/C airplanes are like that. I was crazy about R/C until I built my plane. I've never flown it in 2 years. I have no interest in all the BS I'll have to go through to fly it now that I got the building part done. I've had to stop myself from building others because I know I won't fly them. Did the same thing with ham radio - built my radio, used it a half-dozen times and then it sat. Once I was done building I lost interest.

So far that hasn't happened with shooting, but I haven't built my own gun yet :P But the kel-tec's seem to be guns for tinkerers. They come pretty rough from the factory, without the machining marks polished off and whatnot. I don't own one yet and am not an expert but from what I've read you need to "fluff and buff" them right out of the box before firing them or it sounds like you risk serious excess wear and reliability problems due to the rough finishing. Sounds like they are getting better out of the box performance as time goes on, but from what I've gathered the vast majority of them need some work. The people that have invested some time into them right out of the box and had some patience before going to the range seem to be much happier with the functioning and reliability of the gun.

I'd like to know where to get one of these locally??? I haven't been looking hard but the places I tend to frequent for my drooling pleasure don't carry the kel-tecs. I'd really like to get a used one (in .380) but haven't seem them, even online. Seems to be some .32's used around, I'm guessing because they've replaced it with the .380.

I'd prefer to pick one of these up locally. It's a pretty inexpensive gun and to add 20 bucks shipping and 15-20 bucks for a local ffl to transfer it is a lot to add to a $250 gun, I think I'd just rather pay the tax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:21 am 
Journeyman Member

I have a P-11 9mm. I like it. It's small, light, and holds 10+1. It's a double-stack, so it's a *little* thick for pocket carry, but it works. As far as function, the only stoppage I've had was with winchester hollowpoints- Silvertips? Not sure which model they were, but it choked on them about every other round. Other than those, the gun has been 100%. I have no complaints of anything I didn't notice at the store. ie- the trigger sucks, you have to use a loaded cartridge to take-down the weapon, and the finish is less than perfect. You're right- they're pretty much disposable. I have ZERO sentimental attachment, but it's a tool, and it works. I call it my "wisconsin gun."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:41 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have had a P3AT for almost two years. I've put 200-250 rounds through it in that time. While it's not a fun pistol to shoot, it has been utterly reliable after the first 25 rounds. I've not had any issues with the take-down pin moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

BigRedBowtie wrote:
you have to use a loaded cartridge to take-down the weapon

Huh?

I've had a P32 for a couple years now, and just a month or so ago I picked up a P11.

I never seen/found/felt a need to use a live cartridge to take either of them down. I believe the manual says to use a spent cartridge. Possibly, like you, I don't always have a spent cartridge around to take down the pistol when I'm going to clean it (them).

Use anything. It doesn't have to be a cartridge, esp a live one. I normally just use a snap cap as there's usually one in one of the pouches of my range bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a P32 that I carry every day and is a very reliable and accurate enought for point shooting.

The PA3T does require a "Fluff and Buff" to make it feed real well. I did a minor fluff and buff on my P32 and have not had one issue with feeding or firing.

Check out www.ktog.org for links and forum to ask questions on.

I could not for the life of me find a P32 or P3AT in the twin cities due to the carry law going back into effect so I ordered from a local gun dealer in Grand Rapids Minnesota and got it in less than a week! You may need to call around to find one but they are in demand.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd like to know where to get one of these locally??? I haven't been looking hard but the places I tend to frequent for my drooling pleasure don't carry the kel-tecs. I'd really like to get a used one (in .380) but haven't seem them, even online. Seems to be some .32's used around, I'm guessing because they've replaced it with the .380
Quote:

Say, I have a KeELTEC P3AT (hard chrome 380 acp) that I might be interested in selling. Not sure what’s it worth. Also, do not know if this is proper pace to discuss it. Leave a post with your e-mail address if interested and I will contact you.

Its never been fired. Have some rounds for it. Also has the pocket clip attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Whoops, did it backwards…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

JDR wrote:
I'd like to know where to get one of these locally??? I haven't been looking hard but the places I tend to frequent for my drooling pleasure don't carry the kel-tecs. I'd really like to get a used one (in .380) but haven't seem them, even online. Seems to be some .32's used around, I'm guessing because they've replaced it with the .380

Try the Gunstop in Minnetonka/Glen Lake or (ugh) Gander Mountain. I did my comparison with the Kel-tec at the Gander in Lakeville, and I know I've seen 'em at Gunstop.

I don't think there's anything you can put gunpowder and lead into and make go bang that they don't sell at Gunstop, including the gunpowder, lead and empty brass to make your own ammo. John Walton is THE guy to go see for reloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:23 am 
Journeyman Member

I don't remember what they were asking for them, but there were a couple P32s & P3ATs at J&S in Lakeville a week ago. They're normally a bit high on things there, so you might do better if you can find one someplace else (like Gunstop).

fwiw ... J&S is a nice shop. Just a bit expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:34 am 

I had a P32 for a while and liked it as a "it's too easy to carry" gun. I was fairly reliable, it just wouldn't run dirty. If I had over 50rds through it, it started to get cranky. By the time I traded it off (on my xd) I had somewhere over 350rds through it. Mostly ball but I think I'd run over 100rds of silvertip by the end, I was cycling my carry ammo frequently.

The Mankato Gander Mountain had a 3AT the last time I was in. Hart Brothers Weaponry in Albert Lea has some listed on his site as well.

http://www.hart-bros.com/

I will admit that I've thought about getting a 3AT but I'm trying to keep the number of calibers in stock to a minimum.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:03 am 
Journeyman Member

Indeed, the rim of a spent catridge is what is specified, but I don't keep 9 brass, so it's typically going to be a loaded round. I *prefer* to keep the live ammo away from the cleaning table. Alas, I usually end up using a loaded cartridge to pop the pin. To say that one MUST use a loaded crtridge was a bit presumptive of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

Well - I kind of figured you knew the difference, but had a reason.

Quote:
I *prefer* to keep the live ammo away from the cleaning table

Exactly why I use one of my snap caps instead. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:12 pm 

I used to use a the blade of a pocket knife. Worked well and I've always got one around.

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.