Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Death of .25 and .32 Calibers? 
 Post subject: Re: The Death of .25 and .32 Calibers?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

westhope wrote:
Harland wrote:

Quote:
Well, I'm not a big Deer hunter, but is that really a good idea? I wouldn't trust it to stop a man.

Just a rule change by the DNR to make the 223/5.56 a legal deer round. The rule now is any centerfire cartridge. The 25 ACP is a centerfire cartridge.

I do not agree with the rule change. I think it was a mistake. I like the old legal deer round minimum. My father talked about taking many deer with a 22 LR (shining) when he was young. We would use the 22 LR to kill cattle for butchering each year. In the right hands and with very selective shots, yes the 223 will work.

Nobody will shoot a deer with a 32 0r 25. Hunters don't need another law to tell them that. Somebody that dumb will never be smart enough to get close enough to a deer to shoot it.

The advantage to having everything "legal for hunting" is that the antis always say you don't "NEED" an (AK, or AR or pistol or Saturday Night Special or whatever) for hunting, and then get the Fudds to agree to a little more gun control.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:31 pm 

The .25 ACP has always been underpowered. The Baby Brownings were the only reason it wasn't consigned to the dustbin of history long ago.

I don't think .32 has ever been a popular caliber, less so than .25.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
The .25 ACP has always been underpowered. The Baby Brownings were the only reason it wasn't consigned to the dustbin of history long ago.

I don't think .32 has ever been a popular caliber, less so than .25.
It has been a lot more popular in Europe than here. Many of the armies over there had .32 pistols as officer's sidearms and police forces in places carried it until the advent of the Wondernines in the 80's. They call it 7.65.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:25 am 

The 25 and 32 are historical relics dating back to the end of the 19th century, where a gentleman who was going into a seedy part of town might be well advised to slip one into his pocket. As has already been pointed out, this WAS before the advent of antibiotics and good surgical procedures, so getting shot was a lot more serious, particularly if you were a scumbag and had no money for medical care. Coincidentally, I don't recall the end of the 19th century being an era where liberal judges handed out lenient sentences, and I'm not even sure they had parole boards back then.

Since then, several things have happened: One is a huge increase in awareness of the importance of pre-birth nutrition for the mother, and as such people are a lot bigger than they used to be. Anyone much over 6 feet and 200 pounds was a rarity back then, and these days you have kids in high school who regularly are bigger than that. Most inportantly, at the end of the 19th century the only popular street drug was opium, which was smoked, and it's really hard to be hostile or even walk straight when you're on that stuff. Today, the two great evils are crack cocaine and meth, and they are rampant in our society. Not sure which is better at keeping you from feeling a small caliber gunshot, but they both can easily do that, and that coupled with the increase in median body size adds up to making the 25 and 32 true museum relics. I myself would be hard pressed to choose between not using a 25 on a meth addict my size and trying to kill him with a caliber that small. In my case, I would think the better option would be to open up the little tactical box cutter I have (which always has a new, razor sharp blade in it...) and slitting the addict's throat. One good slice to the side of the neck will take out the carotid artery, and THAT is a guaranteed fatal wound. I seriously doubt you can guarantee a fatal shot with a 25 unless you manage to get the barrel against the back of the neck and hit the brain stem.

As such, I would dispute that a 25 is "better than nothing" in all cases, and in this day and age, and particularly on this board, no one is ignorant enough to carry NOTHING. Calibers that small are no longer capable of reliably (or even giving you a chance!) of subduing the kind and size of criminals we have in our society today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:
I seriously doubt you can guarantee a fatal shot with a 25 unless you manage to get the barrel against the back of the neck and hit the brain stem.

See also: cranial-ocular shot

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The Death of .25 and .32 Calibers?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 pm 

I don't own a .25 or a .32, but they do have a purpose. I've carried a couple of years now, and only prepaired my gun to fire once. Seems we had a Pit Bull wandering around the neighborhood. The dog had pinned a neighbor in a house trailer while she was loading groceries. The dog was on the open door step of the trailer, the neighbor went into the bedroom, closed the door, and called me (next door Neighbor). I called animal control and waited till the dog left. It went south down the alley, A 25 or 32 would have been enough to take out the animal without as much worry about the bullet coming out the back of the target and going on to a building or second person. that day I was carrying a .380 with Hollow Points. It was about 4 in the afternoon. At 5 the same afternoon, 5 rounds were spent about 400 feet from there, and Minneapolis had body #6. The city of Minneapolis says I live in an unuseally Quite Neighbor Hood. A drug deal went Bad, People from Chicago . . . Dog was a local. So why does my Neighbor have a pit Bull.
Do you use a putter in the Tee box? or a wood on the Green?
Maybe some bird shot pistol ammunition ?
A well qualified CCW instructor has said more than once, "If I find out you shot me with a 32, I'm gonna be Pissed".
As for western gunfights of the past, If you wounded a gunfighter, he kept fighting, sometimes even with more fury than before. They only shoot guns out of the hand and stop shooting when someone is Wounded in the movies.

DE KA0OLD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 am 

Actually, I seriously doubt that a 25 or a 32 could do diddly squat to a large pit bull. I have seen a 90 pound one that some meth heads had in a house in Afton, and considering that particular animal is bred to sustain massive injury and keep on fighting, poking a few small holes in it would only likely piss it off. As far as a brain shot, you have as much chance hitting the brain of a pit bull as you do a Minnesota Liberal. Can you really hit a dime with a 2" or 3" long gun barrel?? Uh-uh!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:59 pm 

Minnesota Liberal here. :x
8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm 

JonL wrote:
8)

Well, then STFU, log off this right wing whacko website, and go listen to Garrison Keillor on MPR already!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 am 

Seismic Sam wrote:
JonL wrote:
8)

Well, then STFU, log off this right wing whacko website, and go listen to Garrison Keillor on MPR already!!

Not likely. :lol:
8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not long ago, at an American Indian run establishment just south of Hastings, I walked out to wait for the valet to bring my car to the entrance.

There was a large group of people standing with their heads down looking at something on the pavement. There were a lot of guards there also, allowing people to look, but not touch.

What was on the ground was a .25 auto, all nickle-plated and looking as if it had been chromed. Next to it was a full clip. I'll tell you, it looked so, well, cute! The same feelings that I had seeing my first Mattel six-shooter at the local Five and Dime welled up inside of me.

After about five minutes of general "awe", a Red Wing police officer showed up and carefully put the pistol and clip into a nice zip-lock bag - never bothering to check to see if there was around in the chamber. I don't know the circumstances of how it got there, but the thing just looked so nice and cute. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 pm 

I inherited a nice .32 from my grandfather. It is a Bernadelli Model 60 in very fine shape. I have shot it and it shoots well and accurately. Nice sized also. My normal carry gun is a 9mm but I would consider carrying the .32 as it fits me well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 pm 

I occasionally carry my 1903 model colt in 32 caliber. Makes 8 for eight bulls with Gold Dot. Although I usually carry 9mm summer and 45 winter (also gold dot) I like the little 32 just for a change of pace.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.