Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 .40 caliber bullet a necked down .45 case 
 Post subject: .40 caliber bullet a necked down .45 case
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:09 pm 

Is there such a thing as a .40 caliber bullet in a necked down .45 case a la .357 sig? I think it would be pretty cool!

Post subject: Re: .40 caliber bullet a necked down .45 case
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:49 am 
Longtime Regular

.400 Cor-Bon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Corbon

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:17 pm 

I fooled around with 400 cor-bon a few years back. Got 1500 fps
with a 155 grain fmj. 5" bbl in a 1911, Primers showed high pressure signs and it was not accurate, something like 4" groups at 25 yards. If you enjoy muzzle blast and flame it wont let you down.I still have the barrel,dies,some brass,and bullets just sitting there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:14 pm 

Kind of a dead end, considering the existence of the 10mm, which is far better suited to launching 40 caliber bullets to those velocities. The 400 Corbon also has an achille's heel, which is its very short neck. You have to have ABSOLUTE control over your neck tension during reloading, and if a bullet gets pushed back into the case during feeding it's just like having that happen with a 40 S&W in a Glock. You get a very nasty KABOOM. Talked to a guy who was doing load development for it, and he had one, and said it was nasty. 45ACP cases are not really meant for high pressures at all. You could get around that with 45 Super brass, but why bother when you can 1500 in a 10mm with a 155 grain bullet with no chance of bullet setback?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:30 pm 

Sorry about the gap in my reply.The bullet set back on feeding can be cured but it still does not fix the cartridge. I have a corbin (no relation to cor bon) canelure tool. It lets you roll a crimping groove (or canelure) into a bullet.That enables a good crimp to hold the bullet. I also found some cases that were thicker at the mouth. Most 45acp brass is .0105 to .011 at the mouth I had some odd headstamp stuff that was .012 so I used that. That did not help the primers that looked like chefs hats,or the thunder from the very large charge of Blue Dot. Don't bother with it.
Jack

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.