Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 How's the "doe" outlook in your area? 
 Post subject: How's the "doe" outlook in your area?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:54 pm 

Hey guys,

It's almost deer season (rifle that is) and I am giddy as hell! What is the doe-permit situation in your neck-of-the-woods? I hunt in the Mora area and went from being able to purchase a license plus up to 4 management tags to just 1 management tag this season - I was actually concerned I was going to have to register for the doe-permit lottery this season - that makes for some tough hunting when you are doing "horns only"

Post subject: Re: How's the "doe" outlook in your area?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looked out the bedroom window this afternoon and saw two does eating apples from under our tree. Maybe 15 feet from the house. Nah, probably only 10 feet.

So the outlook must be good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

westhope wrote:
Looked out the bedroom window this afternoon and saw two does

New deer stand? :P :lol:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:16 am 

Just got back Monday from an early anterless season in area 210. We went 3 for 4. Saw all kinds of anterless. Or at least small enough antlers that you couldn't make them out with the binoculars. Was fotunate enough to see a couple of moose up there, too. Not to many up in that area anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 pm 

my area is still 1 regular and 1 mgmt tag. I was a little worried I'd have to go lottery for doe this year too!
Folks have been seeing a nice buck around our place this summer, so I'm hoping he'll walk by at about 8:15 opening morning! (and maybe bring a girlfriend along, and then give me some nice broadside oportunities - I think I might use the .44Mag instead of the 30-30 for opening morning this year and I could use some close easy shots!)

gun control means hitting where you aim!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:20 pm 

Ronin069 wrote:
Hey guys,

It's almost deer season (rifle that is) and I am giddy as hell! What is the doe-permit situation in your neck-of-the-woods? I hunt in the Mora area and went from being able to purchase a license plus up to 4 management tags to just 1 management tag this season - I was actually concerned I was going to have to register for the doe-permit lottery this season - that makes for some tough hunting when you are doing "horns only"

What zone are you in? I'm going to be hunting the opener in 225, and that's listed as an 'intensive' area, right? From what I understand (it's been 20yrs since I've been deer hunting), hunting in an 'intensive' zone like 225 allows for your 1 tag/license to take up to 5 deer, of either a doe or buck variety? Is that correct?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:30 pm 

zimme71 wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:
Hey guys,

What zone are you in? I'm going to be hunting the opener in 225, and that's listed as an 'intensive' area, right? From what I understand (it's been 20yrs since I've been deer hunting), hunting in an 'intensive' zone like 225 allows for your 1 tag/license to take up to 5 deer, of either a doe or buck variety? Is that correct?

No, your 1 tag is good for one deer, but you can purchase up 4 additional tags if you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:38 pm 

sheepdog wrote:
zimme71 wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:
Hey guys,

No, your 1 tag is good for one deer, but you can purchase up 4 additional tags if you want.

So does hunting in an 'intensive' area basically mean I can take either a buck or a doe? And if I want to take more than one, I'd need additional tags? I'm assuming additional tags cost the same as the first one....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm 

Ronin069 wrote:
Hey guys,

Hey, I hunt up near Mora as well (well, west of Mora...Kinda by McBee's on Ann Lake, if you know where that is...). I was surprised to see that area 157 is now a Managed Deer Area...it's been Intensive Harvest for as long as I can remember. I guess it doesn't really matter though....we never fill ALL of the tags in our camp, but there have been a few years where we've come close.

Heading up there tomorrow to work on the stands and to do a little grouse hunting...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:47 pm 

sheepdog wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:
Hey guys,

Hey, I hunt up near Mora as well (well, west of Mora...Kinda by McBee's on Ann Lake, if you know where that is...). I was surprised to see that area 157 is now a Managed Deer Area...it's been Intensive Harvest for as long as I can remember. I guess it doesn't really matter though....we never fill ALL of the tags in our camp, but there have been a few years where we've come close.

Heading up there tomorrow to work on the stands and to do a little grouse hunting...

I'm not sure where I'll be, to be honest. I've got a buddy that lives up there, and he's invited me to come on up. Apparently his in-laws own 40 acres somewhere around there, and he's got a stand, and I get the blind. Like I said, it's been 20yrs since I've been deer hunting, so it'll be interesting, especially with this weather we've been having. I'll be heading up from the Cities the afternoon of the 6th. I honestly can't believe I got the permission of the Mrs to have a guys weekend....that in and of itself is a miracle!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:52 pm 

zimme71 wrote:
sheepdog wrote:
zimme71 wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:
Hey guys,

So does hunting in an 'intensive' area basically mean I can take either a buck or a doe? And if I want to take more than one, I'd need additional tags? I'm assuming additional tags cost the same as the first one....

You can take a deer of either sex with your initial license. You can also use bonus permits to take up to 4 additional antlerless deer (antlerless deer are those without an antler at least 3 inches long). A resident license is $26 this year, and bonus permits are $14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:55 pm 

I'm in 157 as well...so just 2 deer for me this year...too bad...we never had any trouble filling our tags and it was nice to have all that venison in the freezer all year long...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.