Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hi there. 
 Post subject: Hi there.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:51 am 
The Man

Hello. And, yup, the Forum is back up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi there.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Great.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41 pm 
The Man

sigman wrote:
Great.
I'm not sure it is, but, hey, it is what it is.

More anon, or maybe in an anon and a half.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 pm 

Thanks Joel!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:38 pm 

Still had this forum in my bookmarks and clicked on it by accident today. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 pm 
Raving Moderate

Sixstring wrote:

Me too. Was I shocked... :)

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 am 

Jeremiah wrote:
Sixstring wrote:

Me too. Was I shocked... :)

I was more pleased than shocked. About time!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

So is anyone going to post anything but beating up on Joe Penaz, lets hear some opinions on Minneapolis's rising death count.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
So is anyone going to post anything but beating up on Joe "Mango Joe" Penaz, lets hear some opinions on Minneapolis's rising death count.

… and Minneapolis's dismal educational efforts, lack of family values in far too many local areas of Minneapolis, the high rate of quality of life crimes, the high rate of welfare, ad infinitum.

There really is no hope on the horizon, IMHO. Enforce all statutes, laws, regulations, codes and so on - vigorously. Remove offenders from the street. Make life as miserable, if not more, than they make life for those law-abiding citizens among them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 am 

A suggestion: create subforums for bashing other instructors so those of us who are not interested in the topic can avoid it?

I'm not taking sides, I'm just not interested.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 am 
The Man

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
A suggestion: create subforums for bashing other instructors so those of us who are not interested in the topic can avoid it?

I'm not taking sides, I'm just not interested.

That's okay; there's no particular reason for you to be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 am 
The Man

MNBud wrote:
So is anyone going to post anything but beating up on Joe "Mango Joe" Penaz, lets hear some opinions on Minneapolis's rising death count.
In answer to the first, sure; in answer to the second, Minneapolis' murders are, generally, on a decline from the Murderapolis era, as are violent crimes in general.

For those who say, "it really doesn't feel like that to me," I'll add: sure. Me, neither.

I'm not with Traveler, by the way, in the whole increasing sentences thing. Back when I studied criminology, shortly after the earth cooled, it was pretty clear that what deters crime isn't the severity of punishment, but the likelihood of consequences; that was born out, more recently, in Lott's studies, where he finds that it's the apprehension rate -- not the conviction rate, nor the severity of penalty -- that's correlated with good results on crime.

Which is interesting, given that we don't have any real idea if the apprehension of folks who are not guilty by reason of they didn't do it statistically works about as well as the apprehension of those folks who did it. (After all, some percentage of people arrested just plain didn't do it.)

Disturbing thought: it may well be that "round up the usual suspects" is effective in lowering crime rates.

And, orthogonally, that said: when we've got to make lots of prison cells available to house meth dealers' girlfriends who didn't have anybody useful to flip on -- and we do -- we're going to find relatively scant space for other folks, who might need it. I've been told, for example, that in Minnesota, the chances of doing prison time for one's first car theft or non-occupied-dwelling burglary are basically zero; I think of that as a bug, not a feature, despite the stats.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:27 pm 
The Man

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
And, just to add on . . . I could, of course, restrict my own postings on the Forum to just the Bad Instructor Stuff, and I'm sure at least some people -- disinterested parties, of course; I'm not including Gary Shade, who is the only fan of mine so devoted that he reads the metaheaders (I don't make this stuff up, you know) over at ellegon.com -- would want to read that.

But I'd find it boring to restrict my own -- or anybody else's -- postings just to that sort of stuff. Besides, ripoffreport.com is always available for bashing of merchants, if that's all that one is into.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:31 pm 

MNBud wrote:
So is anyone going to post anything but beating up on Joe Penaz, lets hear some opinions on Minneapolis's rising death count.
How about your own opinion. Do you think that is a good or a bad thing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I realize that the criminal justice system does virtually nothing to prevent crime. Sentencing does not deter crime. If that were so, states with the death penalty would not have to use it.

The criminal justice system cleanses society of the detritus. It is akin to flushing the toilet. That, I believe, is the strongest and most accurate metaphor available.

Deterrence is brought about by society values, and a cohesive and positive family life. What we have are pockets of society where the values are not positive, where there is no honor, no empathy, no charity.

Am I one of those that says "lock them up and throw away the key"? In a word: No. I am the type that says "lock them up but jingle the keys in front of them once in a while and tell them that they will never have the opportunity to see those keys used to allow them freedom". :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.