Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CCW Badges 
 Post subject: I actually considered...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:40 am 
The Man

... getting one as a prop for my classes, as a Thing Not to Do. But then I'd have had to actually have one of those silly things. Yucko.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:29 am 
Journeyman Member

Hmmm. You use an overhead in your class presentations, yes? Get a good photo of one and put it up while discussing CCW Don'ts.

It would be a nice prop to show n00bs, but if any of your friends found out you actually gave money to one of the people selling these things ... :oops:

Post subject: More than a prop
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Besides being a great prop, you will also find it useful for making citizen's arrests in 50 states plus Mexico and Canada. :P

Post subject: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:59 pm 
Delicate Flower

Andrew, thanks for posting the picture of the badge..... I downloaded it and now have it in my powerpoint as a "dumb idea" item. Saved me the embarrassment of buying one.[/quote]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:14 am 
Longtime Regular

I live but to serve.

Post subject: Re: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:00 am 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
Andrew, thanks for posting the picture of the badge..... I downloaded it and now have it in my powerpoint as a "dumb idea" item. Saved me the embarrassment of buying one.

Not to mention enriching those who sell them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:58 pm 
On time out

in many states (i am trying to look up the old forum posting to find it) such a badge is explicitly proscribed as "attempting to impersonate" a member of law enforcement. These badges just are for mall ninja wanabe's, Further more somestates have restrictions on the lettering that you can wear on your clothing. Insome states (I believe Penn.) wearing a jacket or shirt emblazoned with POLICE or SWAT is not legal by reason that is creates the impression of authority.

I can not imagine any possible use for this kind of badge, worse reaching for it under a stressfull situation is much more likely to get you shot by a nervous cop than anypossible help it might be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't see why anyone who isn't a cop would want people to think they were.
In the deputy reserve unit I volunteer with, we're forbidden to wear any of our uniform or other issued gear ID'ing us as deputies unless specifically told to. It's for our protection, as we're not licensed PD, are not armed, and don't have any more authority than any citizen, unless working under the direct orders of a licensed cop.
Setting yourself up this way is just asking for trouble.

Post subject: Re: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:30 am 
First-time poster

Surprisingly, impersonating an officer is only a misdemeanor.

Still a stupid idea!!

609.475 Impersonating officer.

Whoever falsely impersonates a police or military officer
or public official with intent to mislead another into believing
that the impersonator is actually such officer or official is
guilty of a misdemeanor.

ttousi wrote:
That badge looks good enough to be charged with "impersonating an officer", which I believe could be a felony. Wannabe is the right term. I say give them a choice...badge OR firearm.

Post subject: "only"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:03 am 
The Man

"Only" and "misdemeanor" don't go together real well, in my opinion. An ordinary misdemeanor conviction can send you to jail for up to 90 [thanks for the correction, pakrat] days; a gross misdemeanor conviction can send you to jail for up to a year.

Me, I'd prefer to simply avoid the whole jail thing in the first place, and if I can help do that by not carrying a stupid carry permit badge, that's not a tough choice.

:)

Last edited by joelr on Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:41 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

misdemeanor is up to 90 days in jail.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:33 pm 

Sorry guys,but I believe 2 pages of "ccw badge "chat is a sure sign of a new gun forumn.Has anyone ever been to packing.org orTFL or anywhere else where ccw is discussed? This issue has been beaten to death many times over.I propose a lifetime ban on the disscussion of these bleeping badges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:56 pm 

So does this mean I am not cool when I flash my CCW weapons permit holder badge??!?!?

:P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:37 pm 
The Man

goalie wrote:
So does this mean I am not cool when I flash my CCW weapons permit holder badge??!?!?

:P
Well, yes, it does. The chicks don't like it either. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Lots of mixed issues in this topic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:13 am 
Journeyman Member

Okay, just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, I'd like to point out that this topic tends to bring out lots of dismissive comments without asking "for what".

If you're getting a ccw badge so that you can wave it while you're pointing your gun at someone and attempting to perform an arrest, well, I think we'd all agree that's stupid, and likely to get you arrested.

If you plan to wear it on your shirt - advertising the fact that you have a gun, it's also not wise. Bad guys may shoot you first just because they think you're a cop. Little old ladies may expect you to arrest a purse snatcher. All bad.

Now we come to wearing it next to your holster under your jacket... I've often thought that this would reduce the chance that an inadvertent display would frighten people. If they saw the flash of gold at the same time they saw a gun they'd automatically assume you're a cop. Yes there are downsides to this, but it would seem to reduce the chance you'd walk out of starbucks into police responding to a "man with a gun" call.

So, does wearing some type of badge automatically make you guilty of "impersonating an officer"? I would think a lot of rent-a-cops would be guilty of that. It looks to me like MN state law only seems to get upset if you put the seals of the US or MN on the badge.

Finally, is the plus of having fewer nervous nellies calling the cops when they see a gun, outweighed by the cons? Can we say that if you have to use your gun you're going to be in deeper trouble because you had a ccw badge on your belt?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.