Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 snubbie calibers 
 Post subject: Re: .44 Special snubbies
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:27 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

joelr wrote:
There's several -- Taurus makes several models, S&W and Charter Arms each make one.

I think that I will Wait until S&W Comes out with one - ALA Custom Shop Model 19 - night sights 40 S&W - Moon Clips - BLACK Scandium

MMMMM... That would be a nice gun to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tito Jackson wrote:
PLblark, Ihave well over 1000 rounds through my 24/7.
never one FTF
I'd be happy to let you shoot.
Let's set up a time.
I'm off Tues and Wed, afternoon would work better.

You have a PM.
Bville or Bill's North 3pmish? Tues works, Weds doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:54 am 

Sorry Bud, something came up for work and I have to go in on tues afternoon.
Next week should work for me though, let's say tues again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:46 am 
Longtime Regular

No problem. My wife goes back to work Thursday so I'm back on daycare pickup patrol. Means I get to spend more time with my boys but less time to sneak away to shoot in Burnsville.

Maybe some weekend at Bill's North.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:33 am 

A different snubby platform can change the usability/power equation significantly. While I would not volunteer to shoot full-power magnums out of a scandium snubby, I'll happily practice with 125-grain fire-breathers from my 2" SP-101 (for awhile).

The 125-grain .357 magnum is probably best suited to a 16.5" carbine, but still excellent from an 8", 6" or 4" revolver. From a 2" revolver, it loses velocity and leaks power in the form of a huge fireball and violent "crack". But it's still way more powerful than any 38+p.

I honestly can't see an assailant taking any more than one of these rounds COM before ceasing the aggression. If it takes more than one, you've got 4 more from the SP-101, but this is the only small gun I would feel confident in loading with this round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:59 am 

125gr. JHP out of a 357 is about a 96% stopper COM....

If the figures are to be believed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Aaron Friday wrote:
A different snubby platform can change the usability/power equation significantly. While I would not volunteer to shoot full-power magnums out of a scandium snubby, I'll happily practice with 125-grain fire-breathers from my 2" SP-101 (for awhile).
That's exactly what I carry. I bought some cushy Hogue grips after the first time I shot it with the Magnums, and I love them.

Aaron Friday wrote:
The 125-grain .357 magnum is probably best suited
to a 16.5" carbine
Ooh, never thought of that... maybe I need a carbine for some reason. :)

Aaron Friday wrote:
... but still excellent from an 8", 6" or 4" revolver. From a 2" revolver, it loses velocity and leaks power in the form of a huge fireball and violent "crack". But it's still way more powerful than any 38+p.

I honestly can't see an assailant taking any more than one of these rounds COM before ceasing the aggression. If it takes more than one, you've got 4 more from the SP-101, but this is the only small gun I would feel confident in loading with this round.
Pinnacle wrote:

Which is why I finally decided I could live without my (2-1/2 pound) .45 at my side.

As far as the muzzle blast goes, as I've said elsewhere, I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. It'll be upsetting the other guy(s) way more than me. (Though I should say, I haven't shot it in the dark yet!)

Regarding velocity, the bottom line seems to be, from what I've read in researching this myself, you lose somewhere in the ballpark of 100 to 200 fps versus a 4" barrel, which still leaves you with something like 1200-1300 fps -- supposedly plenty fast for reliable hollowpoint expansion, and well over any .38 Special +P.

I'm still pretty new to this stuff myself so please, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:15 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
Aaron Friday wrote:
That's exactly what I carry. I bought some cushy Hogue grips after the first time I shot it with the Magnums, and I love them.

Aaron Friday wrote:
The 125-grain .357 magnum is probably best suited
to a 16.5" carbine
Ooh, never thought of that... maybe I need a carbine for some reason. :)

Aaron Friday wrote:
... but still excellent from an 8", 6" or 4" revolver. From a 2" revolver, it loses velocity and leaks power in the form of a huge fireball and violent "crack". But it's still way more powerful than any 38+p.

Pinnacle wrote:

Which is why I finally decided I could live without my (2-1/2 pound) .45 at my side.

As far as the muzzle blast goes, as I've said elsewhere, I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. It'll be upsetting the other guy(s) way more than me. (Though I should say, I haven't shot it in the dark yet!)

Regarding velocity, the bottom line seems to be, from what I've read in researching this myself, you lose somewhere in the ballpark of 100 to 200 fps versus a 4" barrel, which still leaves you with something like 1200-1300 fps -- supposedly plenty fast for reliable hollowpoint expansion, and well over any .38 Special +P.

I'm still pretty new to this stuff myself so please, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right on the mark Pat - BUT here is what I carry and why

I tend to carry my G19 with 127 +P+ Winchester Rangers in it AND HERE IS WHY - at 1300 fps it is equal in every way to a 357 or a 357 sig out of an equivalent bbl length.

This ammunition allows this gun a little more viability as a very serious SD Caliber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle,

Do you use the finger groove type grip extenders on your G19?
My buddy has a G26 and with the extender it works great. I looked at the G19 and liked it except the grip was just a bit too small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:32 pm 

Nope - I have a generation ONE Frame..... 1992 vintage...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 am 

i'll throw in on this one as well. i also use a taurus 85CH (concealed hammer) airweight as one of my carry pieces. i absolutely love it. i'm certain if you were to put a .357 round in this thing it would hurt like hell. with the .38 it packs a decent punch given it's weight. i'd be happy to let the poster fire it. i'm typically at the range twice a week and have it with me. with good repetitive practice to ensure shot placement, i'm pretty comfortable carrying this firearm. i also carry a .45 and feel no more secure with it vs. the .38.

PM anytime if you'd like to fire one and get a feel for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:21 am 

Check out the 38+P short barrel 158 gr. ammo here.
Scoll down a little to see what it does in a few differnt barrel lengths.
I have a new 3" S&W 36.
I'm impressed.
http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#38spl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:08 pm 

Couple years ago, I purchased a new ported Taurus 357 titanium wheel gun. I really like the way it feels in my hand ... very nice serrated rubber grips ... nice looking piece, too. And, loud. I've put less than 500 rounds thru it.

Why? It's just not fun to shoot. At least for me.

The recoil even with 38s is pretty hefty. With 357s , I can't tolerate shooting more than half a box. And, I'm terrible at SD distances.

I'm sure that if I only had this gun and practiced every week with it, I would grow to enjoy it. Well, that is not true. I'd rather have my face stapled to the carpet than shoot this weapon every week. And, that is why I don't carry it.

I carry a Bersa 380 (or a LCP, which is not a fave either) with Federal Hydra-shok 90 grain. This may not be the best in stopping power, but at SD distances, I can put 400 rounds thru a paper plate shooting at a 1.5 second/round pace. I can do this with the any of the 9s, too, but anything BIGGER and I'm a wuss.

I'm sure others will differ and have other experiences. We are all different. But, I think you have to practice with your CC and hit what you point at .... if you can't with the big calibers, move down a bit. Placing 7 rounds from a Bersa 380 in CM is much better IMO than maybe no rounds of 357 from a snub nosed Taurus/SW. Just MO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Bagger wrote:
Couple years ago, I purchased a new ported Taurus 357 titanium wheel gun. I really like the way it feels in my hand ... very nice serrated rubber grips ... nice looking piece, too. And, loud. I've put less than 500 rounds thru it.

Why? It's just not fun to shoot. At least for me.

The recoil even with 38s is pretty hefty. With 357s , I can't tolerate shooting more than half a box. And, I'm terrible at SD distances.

I'm sure that if I only had this gun and practiced every week with it, I would grow to enjoy it. Well, that is not true. I'd rather have my face stapled to the carpet than shoot this weapon every week. And, that is why I don't carry it.

I carry a Bersa 380 (or a LCP, which is not a fave either) with Federal Hydra-shok 90 grain. This may not be the best in stopping power, but at SD distances, I can put 400 rounds thru a paper plate shooting at a 1.5 second/round pace. I can do this with the any of the 9s, too, but anything BIGGER and I'm a wuss.

I'm sure others will differ and have other experiences. We are all different. But, I think you have to practice with your CC and hit what you point at .... if you can't with the big calibers, move down a bit. Placing 7 rounds from a Bersa 380 in CM is much better IMO than maybe no rounds of 357 from a snub nosed Taurus/SW. Just MO.

The lightweight .357s are not meant to be shot. Heck most of the lightweights are not meant to be shot. The reason that they are made is because they will be carried *everywhere* because they are so light. How often do I remember I have my 340PD in my pocket? Only when I see a situation that looks a bit iffy.

A 2.25" snubby or 3" auto-loading pistol is not meant to be accurate. They can be in the right hands or off a rest, but the tactics they are designed for is basically contact distance self defense. This should be easy for just about anyone to do.

Quote:
but at SD distances, I can put 400 rounds thru a paper plate shooting at a 1.5 second/round pace.

So both of our arguments come down to "what is self defense distance?"

I wonder what you are saying here. Is it something like at 1 pace 1.5 seconds, at two paces 3 seconds, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I like .45LC +P out of a 2 and 1/2" barrel, but I am sick like that. .454 seems like such overkill. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.