Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combination 
 Post subject: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combination
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was looking at SAAMI's Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations webpage and learned that you really, really shouldn't be using that .40 S&W ammo in a firearm chambered for 9mm Luger! :shock: :shock:

So, for those of you trying to get a little extra oomph out of your 9mm by using .40's... put the big hammer away :wink:, it's not a good idea.

Just thought you ought to know. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combination
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
I was looking at SAAMI's Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations webpage and learned that you really, really shouldn't be using that .40 S&W ammo in a firearm chambered for 9mm Luger! :shock: :shock:

So, for those of you trying to get a little extra oomph out of your 9mm by using .40's... put the big hammer away :wink:, it's not a good idea.

Just thought you ought to know. :lol:

The reverse is not so smart either... :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The reverse is not so smart either...

I was an SO at an IDPA local match. The shooter came to the line loaded his SIG, fired one shot and had a malfunction. I didn't like what I heard / saw so I stopped him. Couldn't find any thing wrong. There was a hole in the target. So he loaded up again and we tried again. Again, one shot, SIG malfunctioned. Again a hole in the target. We looked at the gun, ammo, magazine things looked fine. He then said something about never having trouble with either his 40 SW Sig or his 9mm SIG before. I looked at his gun. Looked at his magazine / ammo. He was using his 9mm ammo and magazine in his 40 SW SIG. I have no idea why it fired the first round. The case should headspace off the front shoulder of the case. I wouldn't have thought it would have fired but it did. The extractor must have caught the rim enough so it would hold the case against the breach face. After we searched around we found one of the extracted cases. It was split but not in that bad a shape.

SIG's do malfunction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

westhope wrote:
Quote:
The reverse is not so smart either...

I was an SO at an IDPA local match. The shooter came to the line loaded his SIG, fired one shot and had a malfunction. I didn't like what I heard / saw so I stopped him. Couldn't find any thing wrong. There was a hole in the target. So he loaded up again and we tried again. Again, one shot, SIG malfunctioned. Again a hole in the target. We looked at the gun, ammo, magazine things looked fine. He then said something about never having trouble with either his 40 SW Sig or his 9mm SIG before. I looked at his gun. Looked at his magazine / ammo. He was using his 9mm ammo and magazine in his 40 SW SIG. I have no idea why it fired the first round. The case should headspace off the front shoulder of the case. I wouldn't have thought it would have fired but it did. The extractor must have caught the rim enough so it would hold the case against the breach face. After we searched around we found one of the extracted cases. It was split but not in that bad a shape.

SIG's do malfunction.

The extractor hold the case well enough for the firingpin to ding the primer, but there's no gas buildup to cause recoil.

I did it with a 38super in a .45. two almost identicle guns on the bench at the same time. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yep, I had a 9mm slip into a .40 once, too, a Beretta 96. Big bang, small recoil. No harm done to the pistol, but the case was indeed split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I notice that they don't want you to shoot 9mm military in 9mm Luger guns or 5.56 military in .223. There has never been a problem, that I'm aware of, but the ammo manufacturers hate it when we shoot surplus ammo.

There is an argument against shooting commercial .308 in 7.62 x 51 military guns since the SAAMI specs allow pressures higher than the military specs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combination
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a friend put a two rounds of 9mm down range out of a .40 XD.

He asked me after the second round. I looked at the case, and I asked him to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I loaded .40S&W into the magazine of my .45acp once. First round did fire, but it didn't feel right, and the gun didn't fully cycle. No apparent damage to the .45.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.