Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shooting 'pimp' style 
 Post subject: Shooting 'pimp' style
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:55 pm 

Ok, this is my favorite 'stupid' thing to do. At my home range here, I can get away with it because the guys know me. I don't think it's inherently unsafe.

Usually when I take a new shooter to the range, I have them shoot my XD9 pimp style, just to make the point that it is completely ridiculous. I've been unable to even hit the paper. I guess it's my attempt to counteract some of the ridiculous stuff in Hollywood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

So what is "pimp style"? Shooting the gun on its side?

As for movies I really like "Tears of the sun", in other movies I have seen far to many mistakes like.

1) Continuing to shoot a gun with the slide locked back.
2) Raking the slide of a gun/shot gun many tiny with out ejecting any shells.
3) a round from a .22cal taking out the side of an airplane.
4) to many others to list.

Oh, I think one of my favorites was a Hawaii 5-o shot by McGarret. Sniper on a water tower (scoped riffle) at about 300 yards misses McGarret several times, McGarret grabs his snub nose .38cal and hip shoots the sniper (with one shot) sniper falls to his death.

Were do they get this stuff?

Post subject: Re: Shooting 'pimp' style
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:26 pm 

Slythex wrote:
Ok, this is my favorite 'stupid' thing to do. At my home range here, I can get away with it because the guys know me. I don't think it's inherently unsafe.

Usually when I take a new shooter to the range, I have them shoot my XD9 pimp style, just to make the point that it is completely ridiculous. I've been unable to even hit the paper. I guess it's my attempt to counteract some of the ridiculous stuff in Hollywood.

I think this is one of the great contributions of hollywood. With all the "G's" running around shooting like this, it gives me just a little more of a chance of getting a lethal shot in before I get hit myself should I happen to become the next random target...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

grayskys wrote:

As for movies I really like "Tears of the sun", in other movies I have seen far to many mistakes like.

1) Continuing to shoot a gun with the slide locked back.
2) Raking the slide of a gun/shot gun many tiny with out ejecting any shells.
3) a round from a .22cal taking out the side of an airplane.
4) to many others to list.

Oh, I think one of my favorites was a Hawaii 5-o shot by McGarret. Sniper on a water tower (scoped riffle) at about 300 yards misses McGarret several times, McGarret grabs his snub nose .38cal and hip shoots the sniper (with one shot) sniper falls to his death.

Were do they get this stuff?

I would think that shooting an auto on its side would result in a face full of ejected cases.

Cycling the slide without ejecting a case or a loaded round is annoying, but they can (not intentionally) get away with it once in a while as you could argue there wasn't a round chambered.

It does rise to supreme annoyance when they've used the gun to threaten someone or have even fired it and THEN cycle the action without ejecting a case.

In the otherwise enjoyable "Road to Perdition", Tom Hanks character had a very lovely period Colt 1911-pattern pistol (I'd say 45 auto, but it theoretically could have been 38 Super). In scene after scene he would aim his pistol at someone and threaten them and when he was really getting mad he'd cock the hammer! The gun's not even FIREABLE without the hammer cocked, although I'm sure some wag will insist that was part of the intimidation and that his charater new it wasn't capable of firing.

Kind of a disappointment considering that they did a hell of a lot of work to ensure a period look to the film. I was also a little dubious on his "take down" Thompson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:57 pm 

grayskys wrote:

This is one of my favorites:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I remember the cries from the commies when that came out. They thought it was a real product and then when they found out it wasn't (first rule of a commie don't check facts just lie) they played the race card. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:53 pm 

Yes, 'pimp' or 'gangsta' style is shooting the gun on it's side.

That fake ad with the sideways sights is hilarious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:22 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
I would think that shooting an auto on its side would result in a face full of ejected cases.

Not for left-handed homies like me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Matt Payne wrote:
mobocracy wrote:

Heh, a groin full of empty cases...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:27 am 

mobocracy wrote:
Matt Payne wrote:
mobocracy wrote:

Heh, a groin full of empty cases...

Or hot metal in your shoe!

(Of course as a lefty, I already get a face full of metal anyhow.)

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject: Don't be too hasty
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:50 pm 

I was taught "gansta" style in the military.

Of course its what you do if your right eye dominant and your right hand becomes unavailable. (aka a bloody stump) - take your service pistol in your left hand, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise and sight down the side bezel groove.

Try it, works remarkably well. Then file it under "how about that" and go back to shooting with your strong hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rumor has it that the Israelis also taught this as a room-clearing technique with fully automatic weapons, the idea being that the muzzle climb would naturally cause the shooter to arc through the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:11 pm 

Technically, I think there is also a sideways technique with an M16 when you have a gas mask on or something similar to that.

I swear, though, I'm was just being stupid, not using some advanced 'tactical' technique :-)

Post subject: Pimp style
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:55 pm 
Delicate Flower

Had a conversation with a rookie LEO in smaller metro community who said they actually practiced the pimp style during their training. Maybe they are training for alternate (movie) careers @ the same time. Have to get further info next time I run into her.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have done it as well. It is fun, but I shoot worse that way than normal, and I am not a good shot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.