Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ruger Mark II Cleaning 
 Post subject: Ruger Mark II Cleaning
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:57 pm 

This is a bit off topic since .22 don't make great carry weapons, but maybe somebody can help me anyway.

I have the NRA edition Ruger Mk II. In reading though the owner's manual, I noticed that the instructions to field strip the gun are around four or five steps. The instructions to reassemble it are about 15 steps, plus troubleshooting tips!! One of the tips is not to be concerned, it's really not that hard to put it back together. Is that true?

Also, I was told that it's not necessary to take the gun apart unless it has a problem - it can be cleaned without disassembly. True?

Comments??

Thanks!!

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:05 am 

I don't have any issues with my Ruger semi-auto .22 (either dissassembly or assembly), but I usually just hose it down with Rem-Oil and run a boresnake through it. I probably actually strip it down and clean it well every 1,000-1,500 rounds.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

I hate reassembling those little buggers. Make sure you point the muzzle upward when aligning the hammer strut with the mainspring housing. It's almost impossible to do without the use of gravity.

Having three hands also helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Heh, one of the reasons I bought a S&W model 41 was that it's dead easy to strip for cleaning.

Ruger .22 reassembly is fairly notoriously complicated, although those that master it claim it appears much harder than it actually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had a Ruger Mk 1 for about 15 years and never took it apart! I just put a patch down the bore every few boxes of ammo and cleaned what I could reach with a Q tip. I may have hosed it down with Gun Scrubber a couple of times.

It was completely reliable!

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:50 pm 

I take my Ruger apart for a good cleaning after about 600 rounds, yet I've known folks who haven't taken theirs apart for 20 years. It's just a couple of extra steps in putting it back together. No big deal after you're done it a couple of times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:51 am 

I've got a Mk II 22/45 that only gets cleaned once it starts to act up. Yes, it can be a bear to dis/reassemble but once you get the hang of it and learn to explicitly follow the directions you'll be fine. Mine was so tight when it was new that I had to use a soft hammer for the pin that goes through the rear of the receiver (I don't recall what it's called) and fit into the rear of the grip.

My favorite thing for doing a good cleaning on it is a can of Gun Scrubber!

Steelheart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.