Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Police Ammo 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

eLRoy wrote:
I'm surprised to hear people advocating making two holes. If your bullet passes through the target, it still has energy and thus has not expended all it's energy on the target.

I don't think that bleeding out is a necessarily quick way to incapacitate a threat.

I'll never forget the demonstration I saw years ago. Two water jugs ten feet away. One .357 revolver with 4 fmj and 2 jhp. The first four rounds (the fmjs) went into the first jug creating 8 holes through which the water was now running out. The 5th round went into the second jug. It exploded throwing water five feet in every direction. After a pause for effect, the sixth round went into the now half empty 1st jug (below the water line) with just as impressive an explosion.

I'll take expansion and full energy transfer any day over lots of holes.

my .02

I offer this - jugs of water and the human bodyu - allthough similar - are not the same.

Jugs of water do not wear clothing - and do not have bones and jugs of water offer the most dramatic example of hydrostatic shock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Then may I suggest Expanding Full Metal Jackets? After I burn through my HST's that is the next carry round that I'll be purchasing

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I was talking to a Hopkins officer one day at Ammocraft and he was carrying Federal Hydra-shox in his Glock 19.
I was purchasing Hornady xtp bullets for a CZ pistol that doesn't feed Hydra shox dependably. The XTP have a smaller opening and work great and still give me the ability to carry hollow points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:43 pm 

Some of the suburbs of Mnpls use 165 gr .40 cal Tactical Bonded HP (made by Federal). So most of the cops I know use Federal Tactical HP's. I personally am a EFMJ kinda guy, and the LEO (9mm) rounds in those are 124 gr +P...get it at Streichers. HTH

Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 pm 

Pinnacle I appreciate you takeing the time to explain your reasoning.
As for what the police carry I doubt most could give an answer to why they carry brand X other then its what was issued to them. With certain exceptions I think most LEOs are the least knowledgable when it comes to firearms and ammo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:59 pm 

Rem700 wrote:
As for what the police carry I doubt most could give an answer to why they carry brand X other then its what was issued to them. With certain exceptions I think most LEOs are the least knowledgable when it comes to firearms and ammo.

I dont have answers any more than I have a strong opinion.

Everything that I post is my $0.02

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:56 am 

Pinnacle wrote:
Rem700 wrote:

I dont have answers any more than I have a strong opinion.

Everything that I post is my $0.02

:)

Pinnacle, a strong opinion? When did that start. :lol:
I do appreciate your opinions greatly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:11 am 
On time out

Somebody in ramsey county is carrying and using Speer GoldDots. I just received a 5 gallon bucket of brass from a person connected with the sheriffs office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:19 am 

There is no goo danswer to what is the best ammunition out there but there are some solid principals.

A long time ago - there was this guy that lived up the street from us that was a family friend - he taught me to reload when I was 12 - he always told me that "You want to shoot the heaviest bullet that you can push at the fastest speed and control the best..." Hummmm... Interesting.

Wise words... But this is the guy that used to hunt deer with his 375 with a 200 gr Cast bullet - lets just say that there were plenty of one shot stops and it was really pleasant to shoot beleve it or not. .

He always said that the 124's were good for the 9mm - because they were somehwere in the middle of the road in weight and they move pretty fast....

The 45 - he said - 230gr the original and the best for what that caliber was intended for.

the 30-06 - 180gr for just about anything - 220's for anything that might bite ya back....

Certain degree of sense to old Jerry.... Great guy - he unfortunately passed away some years ago - I inherited a lot of his stuff that I still use today and remember him every time that I do use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:17 pm 

I like Cor Bon Pow R Ball.
And a lot of others too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:05 am 
Longtime Regular

For sure MPD uses Federal. They've had a decades-long business association with one another. I know they use just plain American Eagle for practice, what sort of JHP is used for duty, I couldn't say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
For sure MPD uses Federal. They've had a decades-long business association with one another. I know they use just plain American Eagle for practice, what sort of JHP is used for duty, I couldn't say.

They might be using the new HST. Which was developed to address the deficiencies of the Hydrashok.

I didn't read the thread all the way back to see if I said it before, but last summer when I was volunteering at the State Fair, I asked Capt. Mike Hammer of the DNR what their duty load was, and they were still carrying Hydrashoks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 am 

i took a trip to streichers to pick up some ammo. i surveyed the employees to find out which ammo is sold the most to law enforcement. without hesitation in the slightest, every single one answered the same, Federal HST. As already noted, these were developed to overcome the downfalls of the hydra-shock. So as everyone knows, the hydra-shock, although a great round was developed in the 1970's. Technology and new sciences have brought us a long way since then and Federal used all of it's new advancements to make the HST. Logic alone would dictate it is a newer, more advanced round. i am close friends of 2 Bloomington police officers and they both carry this round, although did mention much of the department is still carrying the older hydra-shock.

For the record, i carry a .45acp Springfield XD. After firing 200 HST rounds at the range (unclean weapon after 300 FMJ practice rounds), i had a 0% failure to fire, failure to feed, failure to eject. Every round went through the weapon like clockwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome aboard and thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 pm 

Hey, thanks Paul. I appreciate the warm welcome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.