Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Handgun scope choices 
 Post subject: Handgun scope choices
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

For openers, I'm a handgun hunter and have been for quite a few years. I've always been a "Purist", I only use open sights and kind of looked down on those that used handgun scopes. Recently I began to think more about scopes since the sights are getting a little fuzzy (even with glasses) as I get older. I won't say how old but I remember WWII quite well even though I was too young to serve in it.

I normally deer hunt with a Ruger Redhawk .44 with open sights. It doesn't have the cuts that allow for scope mounting. Using this as an excuse to the wife, I recently purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 that does come with scope rings. Kept the Redhawk too of course.

I've been doing research on the Internet Forums on what scope to get for this gun. Some on this board may have seen my posts although I post under a different handle. The majority of people that responded said "2X, fixed power, either Burris or Leupold".

I thought I would pose the same question on this forum. What make and power scope would you recommend for a Ruger Super Redhawk .44?

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just a thought, I really like my EOTech Holoscope. It does really well for me with my aging eyes. One can also adjust the brightness of the hologram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:07 pm 

I happen to shoot the very same gun and am new to the handgun hunting community. I did shoot a deer this year, my first year to carry a handgun which in no way means I am an expert. I did all the same research and posting on other forums with the same question as you. I also got the very same answers as you.

My decision was to go with a red dot. My decision was based on the fact that I can keep both eyes open and have a large field of veiw. This indeed proved to be very helpful this year. The holoscope I think would also be a great choice. I shoot one on my Buckmark 22LR and think it would be as good or maybe even a better choice than a red dot. My concern was using an open sight like that in adverse weather conditions, hence my choice to go with the red dot.

The benefits of the scope are increased magnification (also increased movement when looking through it). No batteries to die (was not an issue I just turned it on when needed). Better low light gathering early and late in the day (I had no problems shooting at 6:55 am).

That being said, I missed my first deer and cussed my decision to not have a scope, which I believe may have helped me. Two hours later I shot a deer where having a large field of veiw and both eyes open definitely made a difference.

What is the answer? I am not sure, but I think I may be buying a 2X power scope to practice with until next year and try that for a season and see which works best for me. I will say that I more than likely will continue to use the red dot. I works very well out to 50 yards and the large veiwing area is a clincher for me. If your shots are usually beyond 50 yards the scope may be the better option.

The reason I obtained a permit to carry was for hunting purposes and the ability to carry with a hunting coat on was a must. I am glad I got my permit and am now strongly considering daily carry and becoming more involved with shooting. This has been one of the best things I have done in years and I look forward to additional advanced training, the purchase of more handguns :D , and the prospect of actually carry.

Good luck with your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dbl, welcome to a great carry forum, glad to hear you got your permit. For hunting, even carrying under your coat, a permit is not required. MN hunting law does not specify that you must carry open like it does in our neighboring state of WI.

A permit does give you many advantages however, such as loaded in your car etc. as well as the main purpose of the permit, self defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dbl wrote:
.................The reason I obtained a permit to carry was for hunting purposes and the ability to carry with a hunting coat on was a must. I am glad I got my permit and am now strongly considering daily carry and becoming more involved with shooting. This has been one of the best things I have done in years and I look forward to additional advanced training, the purchase of more handguns :D , and the prospect of actually carry.

Good luck with your choice.

Welcome, Dbl. :D

The quote of the day, highlighted in red. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:27 pm 

Ramoel wrote:
For hunting, even carrying under your coat, a permit is not required. MN hunting law does not specify that you must carry open like it does in our neighboring state of WI.

I certainly don't want to get off topic on this post, since it is about scope choices, but I know of two incidents where handgun hunters where cited for concealing a handgun under a hunting coat. Right or wrong? I honestly don't know but it was a good excuse to go through the training.

This is from page 28 in the DNR rules booklet.

"Questions regarding handguns should be directed to local law enforcement authorities.

The “Concealed carry” provisions apply to certain hunting activities.
Persons with a permit under this law generally may carry their
handguns uncased and loaded while hunting, and while traveling to
or from hunting locations by motor vehicle under the hunting firearms
transportation laws."

Doesn't say much about if it is okay to have a loaded handgun concealed under a hunting coat while walking or sitting in a stand. Maybe someone could explain the interpretation of this on another thread. Again, I don't want to hijack the point of this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Dbl, a good topic to pursue further. In MN statute there is no distinction between open or concealed carry so until case law decides otherwise, like many other things, it's open to interpretation by the DNR. They have been wrong on gun law before. I think a good gun lawyer could have gotten the citation dismissed.

Now, back to scopes which was my original question. I looked at and through both Burris and Leupold 2X held at arms length. The only difference I could see was the Burris is about $100 cheaper. Any comments from owners of either one?

Post subject: Which Scope? Burris
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:23 am 

I've hunted with 2 scoped handguns. My Ruger SBH gets a Burris 1.5-4 LER on a Weaver no drill base. My Lone Eagle .308 has a Burris 3-9 LER retained with 2 sets of z-rings and locktite. When I'm walking, I have the variable set as low as it goes. If I'm settled, and able to rest the firearm such that I don't need as much eye-relief, I'll crank it up to somethng appropriate to the situation.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.