Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Gun Buy Back 
 Post subject: Gun Buy Back
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:53 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Posted article on Packing.org
Quote:
He was paid $25 in gift certificates for each long gun; hand guns fetch $50 each in gift certificates.

Hey, let's organize our own buy back program for Minnesota. Get some great guns for $50, sell them for 3x as much??

Mark (lastgunshop) had told me one story about a gun that was brought to him that shouldn't have been on the street. Do guns just get dropped off at gunshops often?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have always wanted to wait outside a gun buyback and as people come to turn in their guns, ask if I can look first and maybe offer more if it is something I want/need. I shudder to think about all the historical guns that may get turned in because grandpa died and no one knows what he had.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:59 pm 
1911 tainted

HEY, I may be interested in your buy back gun ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I want a semi auto slide and a barrel, maybe a bolt out of a bolt action would work, to cut up and use in some of the classes I do. Need them to show parts, such as the rifling in the barrel. If I make a 45 degree cut on the barrel, what better way to explain what rifling is. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gun Buy Back
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:09 pm 
on probation

Pakrat wrote:
Posted article on Packing.org
Quote:
He was paid $25 in gift certificates for each long gun; hand guns fetch $50 each in gift certificates.

Hey, let's organize our own buy back program for Minnesota. Get some great guns for $50, sell them for 3x as much??

Mark (lastgunshop) had told me one story about a gun that was brought to him that shouldn't have been on the street. Do guns just get dropped off at gunshops often?
I get about 7 guns a year. The last one was one that was own by N.S.A. or C.I.A. I called the atf and there where in at the shop ASAP. To take it. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:11 am 
Longtime Regular

lastgunshop wrote:
I get about 7 guns a year. The last one was one that was own by N.S.A. or C.I.A. I called the atf and there where in at the shop ASAP. To take it. :shock:

I'm guessing this was a gun that was manufactured with no serial number? I read about one such someplace. I've wondered since, if all gun manufacturers provide this service, and if it's available on any order placed with a federal gov't purchase order, or only in cases where they've busted the CEO's dope dealer, or the QA supervisor's hooker girlfriend. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:24 am 
on probation

Pat Cannon wrote:
lastgunshop wrote:

I'm guessing this was a gun that was manufactured with no serial number? I read about one such someplace. I've wondered since, if all gun manufacturers provide this service, and if it's available on any order placed with a federal gov't purchase order, or only in cases where they've busted the CEO's dope dealer, or the QA supervisor's hooker girlfriend. ;)
The gun was manufactured by Ruger. Ruger MK II and was not manufactured with a Ser#. It was factory suppress. I make sure I got a receipt from the A.T.F.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:15 pm 

Is the receipt a free pass on a violation? Or do you get any reimbursment?

You could have said you had to pay the person to get the gun off the street.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Back more that a dozen years ago when Minneapolis had it's gun buyback, my brother brought an old rusty, break-action 12 ga. single shot down to sell to the city for the $50.00. We had the same idea, check what other people in line had and rescue what we could. In my, admittedly small, sample of maybe the dozen people closest in line there wasn't one gun that I would have given $50.00 for. Even the little old ladies with the "nickel nightmares" had all been to a local gunshop to see if they could get more for it first. I assume that the local gunshops had a burst of business that week. I know for a fact that they cleaned out their back rooms and gunsmith parts guns.

One dealer I know unloaded at least 50 beat to crap Japanese WWII rifles (the tail end of a huge collection he'd bought) as bonuses to his employees (properly transferred) and they all turned them in. It pissed off the city people and they threatened him but since it was all legal they had to back off!

I have it on pretty good authority that the AR-15 on top of the pile on the 10 PM news came out of the Minneapolis Police property room for the photo op, although I can't verify that.

They do learn, but very slowly!

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:08 pm 
on probation

Pakrat wrote:
Is the receipt a free pass on a violation? Or do you get any reimbursment?

You could have said you had to pay the person to get the gun off the street.
No reimbursment. Some guy came in to the shop with it....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 am 

But what was is the point in the receipt? Do you get anything from the ATF? Or is it just proof you did the right thing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:15 am 
on probation

Pakrat wrote:
But what was is the point in the receipt? Do you get anything from the ATF? Or is it just proof you did the right thing?
Proof that I did the right thing...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.