Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CCW Badges 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, as a SmartCarry, um, carrier, it hasn't been something I've considered.

On the weekends when I really don't care who sees, I use an OWB holster (with a cover garment, but I'm not paranoid about printing or flashing). People seem to be either really blind or really indifferent to the gun.

I'm voting for blind.

Of course, I'm really, really white as well. I can't speak for anyone else with different life experiences.

Quote:
But so far, the *only* situation you've brought up that you think it might help in, is if :

A) The badge carrier is in a minority that will potentially be viewed as evil by a responding LEO.

B) The responding LEO badly needs some diversity training.

Honestly, I doubt if I could swing a cat in Minneapolis without hitting a cop that meets that description. The MPD's reputation is known nationwide, and it ain't a gentle one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:33 am 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt if I could swing a cat in Minneapolis without hitting a cop that meets that description. The MPD's reputation is known nationwide, and it ain't a gentle one.

Point well taken.

Post subject: Re: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 am 

Pakrat wrote:
johnalbert wrote:
The first time he open carried he was wearing a SWAT shirt and SWAT hat. These old ladies were talking "I wonder if he's in SWAT". They were looking for his badge and saw his gun "Yup, he's in SWAT".

So, wouldn't this be the same thing as carrying a CCW badge? I see a lot of guys with ATF hats, police shirts, stuff like that. And I don't know if they are, or not.
I'd be curious to see what everybody thinks about this scenario (which is taken from one of the CCW badge sites where they sell them): You're in a shootout with a bad guy and the cops pull up. Bad guy says "This guy's gonna kill me! Shoot him!" You say "I'm a CCW permit holder" and you hold up your badge which the cops can see from where they happen to be.
I'm not sure about this whole CCW badge thing. There are some good arguments on both sides. (Eeek! Did I just become a wishy-washy centrist? Nah! :D )
Wow! I just noticed this is a REAL old topic! Sorry. But who knows, maybe it'll get some more responses.

Post subject: Re: CCW Badges
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

taggart wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
johnalbert wrote:
The first time he open carried he was wearing a SWAT shirt and SWAT hat. These old ladies were talking "I wonder if he's in SWAT". They were looking for his badge and saw his gun "Yup, he's in SWAT".

So, wouldn't this be the same thing as carrying a CCW badge? I see a lot of guys with ATF hats, police shirts, stuff like that. And I don't know if they are, or not.
I'd be curious to see what everybody thinks about this scenario (which is taken from one of the CCW badge sites where they sell them): You're in a shootout with a bad guy and the cops pull up. Bad guy says "This guy's gonna kill me! Shoot him!" You say "I'm a CCW permit holder" and you hold up your badge which the cops can see from where they happen to be.
I'm not sure about this whole CCW badge thing. There are some good arguments on both sides. (Eeek! Did I just become a wishy-washy centrist? Nah! :D )
Wow! I just noticed this is a REAL old topic! Sorry. But who knows, maybe it'll get some more responses.

What part of "LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS, LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS, DOWN ON THE GROUND DOWN ON THE GROUND.........NOW!!!
Lets you calmly hold up a badge, regardless of WHAT IT SAYS!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Um...yeah. CCW Badge is just asking for trouble. Your permit will explain volumes to a police officer. He will look at it after you have followed all of his instructions and he has the situation in his control. Flashing a CCW badge is probably going to just tick him off.

My .02.

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 pm 

I have a NYPD sweatshirt that I never wear while carrying. If something were to happen, I am certain it would be mentioned in court. If I accidently print and someone calls the cops, well cops aren't big fans of people they perceive to be wannabes.

Too much potential for grief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you are questioned by security types for open carry a "badge" might slow them down. Flash your "badge" with your permit, tell them you are personally licensed to carry firearms and they should not interfere. (Be sure you do not tell them you work for the State.)

They might say "I'm sorry, go on about your business."

As long as you don't claim governmental authority, you would not be breaking the law, just treading at the edge. You're simply asking them to change their mind or change the rules for you.

I'm not recomending that course of action, simply speculating on a useful purpose for a carry badge. And they might accuse you of claiming to be a Police Officer. So......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:43 pm 

This whole badge-carry biz sounds an awful lot like auto-Darwinism…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:21 am 
Longtime Regular

If there is a practical use for one of those badges, I sure can't think of one. I can see their appeal to the cop wannabe types, but that in itself is a pretty scary situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:18 am 

Brewman wrote:
If there is a practical use for one of those badges, I sure can't think of one.

When I inspected one at the last gun show at which they were sold, the first thing that popped into my mind in light of the weight and shape as I held it in my hand was a personal query of how many skips I might be able to accomplish with the thing across a calm pond.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular

onebohemian wrote:
Brewman wrote:
If there is a practical use for one of those badges, I sure can't think of one.

When I inspected one at the last gun show at which they were sold, the first thing that popped into my mind in light of the weight and shape as I held it in my hand was a personal query of how many skips I might be able to accomplish with the thing across a calm pond.

I love skipping badges! :D :D :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:15 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a badge already. It is a laminated card issued by the Otter Tail County Sheriff that says "State of Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol".

In my opinion, (and it is not so humble): Any other badge is meaningless and has -0- (that is zero) use.

Of course, YMMV.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I would be embarrassed to wear one. :oops:
I would rather wear a t-shirt that said, “SECRET AGENT”. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

tepin wrote:
I would be embarrassed to wear one. :oops:
I would rather wear a t-shirt that said, “SECRET AGENT”. :D

I want one of the Witness Protection ones...

Front: [large Logo of WPP]
Back: Text: You Don't Know Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:06 am 
Longtime Regular

I should probably be in the Witless Protection Program. Someone has to look after the brain dead among us.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.