Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 SENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN 
 Post subject: SENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just saw this on Drudge.

SENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN: Phillip Thompson, executive assistant to Senator James Webb (D-VA ), has been arrested by Capitol Hill Police on Monday for 'inadvertently' holding the senator's loaded gun, according to a person close to the investigation. A Senate staffer reports that Thompson was arrested for carrying the gun in a bag through security at the Russell Senate Office building while the Senator was parking his car. Thompson was booked for carrying a pistol without a license (CPWL) and for possessing unregistered ammunition.

Statement by Jessica Smith, Webb Communications Director:

"To our knowledge, this incident was an oversight by the Senator's aide. Phillip Thompson is a former Marine, a long-term friend and trusted employee of the Senator. We are still awaiting facts." Developing...

That guy should be careful those damn things can go off at any time. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:16 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Well, of course, being a former Marine and loyal friend, he should be exempt from the laws that his bosses foist on everyone else. What a logical argument!!!

I already blogged about this incident:

According to the Drudge Report, Phillip Thompson, an assistant to Senator James Webb, D-VA, was arrested for trying to clear Capitol security with the Senator's bag, which contained a loaded handgun, as well as "unregistered ammunition", whatever that means.

The real hypocrisy in the story is not the poor sap who was caught carrying the bag, but the fact that the Senator was apparently entirely within his rights to bring a handgun personally onto Federal property. You see, Federal law prohibits anyone, even off-duty local police officers, from carrying firearms onto Federal property. Of course, as in just about all other matters, Congress has apparently exempted themselves from this prohibition, so that if Webb himself had been in possession of the pistol, everything would have been fine. You see, the laws are for the little people, not the high and mighty.

I haven't even mentioned the question of how Webb can legally be in possession of the pistol outside of the Capitol, but within the city limits, as it is illegal for even him to do that. He can't cry ignorance, either. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-TX, has introduced legislation to allow all residents of D.C. to exercise this right after learning that she would be unable to keep a handgun at her Washington residence for self-protection, but of course it is getting intense opposition. Guess from which party? That's right, the Democrats, the party of good ol' Jim Webb himself.

Any of us peasants who got caught with a handgun on Federal property would get no mercy at all from the justice system. I hope that Mr. Thompson gets prosecuted fully, not because I am unsympathetic to his plight, but so that Congress gets taught a lesson about the consequences of their unequal and unfair policies. We don't have royalty in this country, and it's about time they were taught that.

This incident is a shining example of why I began this blog. Our "leaders" need to be forced to follow the same laws that they impose onto the rest of the peasantry. Only then will they see how onerous their legislative mandates become.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Add Cynthia Ann McKinney (A Democrat) an American politician from the U.S. state of Georgia, to the list of abusers-that-go-free-because-the-rules-don't-apply-to-me...........

March 29, 2006 Capitol Hill Police Incident.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_29%2C_2006_Capitol_Hill_Police_Incident

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

We do have "Royalty" in this country. The royals are called by one of two names, either "Celebrities" or "Politicians".

If you are a royal you can break almost any law and get away with it. If you are one of the rest of us little people, forget about it. You're going to jail! :roll:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject: Re: Just Dumb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
possessing unregistered ammunition.

What? How does one register ammunition? And I how is it possible to have a firearm in D.C. I thought that was one of the largest total victim disarment zones we had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Now, Fox News is saying that the Senators CAN bring their weapons into a Federal Office building as long as it is unloaded and cased (pursuant to Federal weapons transportation laws, I guess) However, I can't go into any Federal building or on the base if I even have a gun in my vehicle, even if it's cased and unloaded. I guess there IS a law for the Politicians and a separate one for the "serfs" :roll:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 am 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
JSENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN:
Anybody know what Senator James Webb's (D-VA ) record has been on 2nd Amendment Issues?????

It'll be interesting to see whether the capitol police are "understanding" about the incident or not.

+1 On the comments about Royalty vs. Serfs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I had read that Webb is pro gun ("opposes gun control issues")

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:31 pm 

ironbear wrote:
gunflint wrote:
JSENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN:
Anybody know what Senator James Webb's (D-VA ) record has been on 2nd Amendment Issues?????

He was just elected last Nov, so he doesn't have a voting record to speak of. However, he's one of the conservative Democrats they ran to help them take control of the House & Senate. He's a Naval Academy grad, Marine Corps Vietnam vet awarded the Navy Cross, and served as the Secretary of the Navy under Reagan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:42 pm 

On another board, it said he had an "A" grade from the NRA...looking for link, but at work right now.

Red

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.