Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 40 S&W 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:48 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Yup - you are right on that one. The thing is that really really hot 9mm is meant to be shot out of subguns - sten sterling - UZI and such

I have some old German SOLID STEEL 9mm that was meant for the MP40 - DANGEROUSLY HOT STUFF -

Why get a 357 Sig when there is ammo out there in 9mm that will clock 1325 fps right from the get go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pinnacle wrote:
Why get a 357 Sig when there is ammo out there in 9mm that will clock 1325 fps right from the get go.

To run 125gr gold dots at 1500 fps without exceeding SAAMI specs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:20 pm 

Oh I dont knwo about that - that is pretty fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 am 
Forum Moderator

Pinnacle wrote:
Oh I dont knwo about that - that is pretty fast.

Check out DoubleTap's .357 SIG loadings. I don't quite know how they manage to load their ammo without exceeding SAAMI specs or pushing the margin of error too close (some recent kabooms indicate it's pretty close), but they manage to get some wicked performance out of their loadings.

I guess in the end you can take what physically resembles a 9mm and turn it into a plasma pulse, but at some point it stops being a 9mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:50 pm 

Hey

How dead does dead have to be? I offer this - the same bullet traveling 1350 Versus 1500 - hummmmmm I bet that the little bit of slower velocity actually helps the bullet perform and hold together better....

What I was saying is that is a 357 Sig really necessary considering that there is a 9mm load out there that will launch a bullet at 1325?

Probably not - as for puching the margin of safety - with just a few Kabooms - UNACCEPTABLE..

Ammo that is that hot has no purpose other than a dick measuring contest - when someone looses that contest - someone really looses the contest and the gun and a hand - and perhaps an eye - or gets killed in ashootout because of unreliable ammunition.

Puching something that far over safe levels is well - NOT SAFE.

Shooting is considered dangerous enough without some maverick moron out there stuffing cases full of powder just to see where the limits really are - then when the blow up some guns - but only once in a while - call it good...... NOT GOOD.

"Hold my beer and watch this!" comes to mind yet again.....

As for me - I NEVER EXCEED PUBLISHED LOADS - Why? Because it is not SAFE...... There are too many variables - from gun to gun - lot of primers to lot of primers - same for powder - same for cases - even same for bullets.....

TOO MANY VARIABLES to go messing around with something that would normally be considered safe - or reasonably so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Been doing some reading by Ayoob on the subject of calibers in book on SIG's. He gives high praise and a number of anecdotal stories from Virgina and Maryland State Police about their experiences with the 357 sig. They said it would often take 9 - 10 shots to put down a pitbull with their 9mm guns, but only 1 with the 357 sig.

However, they were using the 147 grain round in the 9's which is a subsonic round. I imagine a lightweight 357 sig round would perform dramatically better than a heavyweight 9mm.

I wonder what the result would have been if they had just changed to a 124gr 9mm Hydrashok (or maybe even 115 gr) before trashing out all of their guns?

147 gr 9mm JHP 4" bbl 930 fps
124 gr 9mm JHP 4" bbl 1150 fps
115 gr 9mm JHP 4" bbl 1250 fps

147 gr .357sig JHP ?" bbl 1225 fps
125 gr .357sig JHP ?" bbl 1375 fps
115 gr .357sig JHP ?" bbl 1500 fps

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:48 pm 

DeanC wrote:
Been doing some reading by Ayoob on the subject of calibers in book on SIG's. He gives high praise and a number of anecdotal stories from Virgina and Maryland State Police about their experiences with the 357 sig. They said it would often take 9 - 10 shots to put down a pitbull with their 9mm guns, but only 1 with the 357 sig.

However, they were using the 147 grain round in the 9's which is a subsonic round. I imagine a lightweight 357 sig round would perform dramatically better than a heavyweight 9mm.

I wonder what the result would have been if they had just changed to a 124gr 9mm Hydrashok (or maybe even 115 gr) before trashing out all of their guns?

147 gr 9mm JHP 4" bbl 930 fps
124 gr 9mm JHP 4" bbl 1150 fps
115 gr 9mm JHP 4" bbl 1250 fps

147 gr .357sig JHP ?" bbl 1225 fps
125 gr .357sig JHP ?" bbl 1375 fps
115 gr .357sig JHP ?" bbl 1500 fps

the 147 is a notrious snore in a 9mm. The 124-127 loadings are Ideal for that caliber.

9mm Winchester 127 +P+ @ 1325 VS a 357 Sig of similar weight going 50 FPS Faster - whats the significant difference? There is none - hence IMHO there is little justification for the 357 Sig..

Lots of noise - blast and recoil for little more than 50 fps..... Not worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 am 

Hi all,
New guy here. 1st post.
I am kind of new to guns. I've been buying them for almost two years. I have about a dozen now. Lot's of different calibers and brands. My 1st was a Glock 23 which is a .40. It's the only one I sold. Traded for a sub-compact .40 and got the 357 sig barrel too. The only 9MM I have is another Glock sub-compact (26). I like the fact that 9MM is cheap to practice with and I'm a believer that it will do the job if needed.
My brother in law (who was a cop in the past) told me the 9MM was a marginal SD cartrige. What's with that statment?
My most recent purchase was a Taurus 617 all titanium. 20 ozs. empty. full size handle. 7 shoot .357. 2" barrel.
I am more accuate with this one that all the others. It's weird. You would think one of the 4" barreled guns would be.
It's also a blast to shoot. Loud with a big blast of fire out the end. I bought this as a fun gun.
It's working!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

One of my friends and I have been shooting every week or so. He's been observing my shooting. (Typical Marine ) :D I have 3 handguns that I shoot. a 40 S&W, a 10MM, and a 45ACP. They're ALL full sized semi-autos. What he has noticed is that when shooting, I do better with the 40 & 45. When firing my 10mm, it appears that I seem to be afraid of it. :shock: I suppose because or the expense of 10MM ammo, I haven't been practicing with it as much and therein may lie the problem. I seem to be able to point shoot the 40 much more accurately than either of the others, but the 45 is really close in hits. Those who have met me know I ain't no "little feller" either

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:49 am 
The Man

Not terribly surprising. The 10mm -- firing reasonably hot loads -- feels to me to be about the same amount of recoil as with the .45, but more snappy . . . more of a slap than a push. Takes some getting used to, I think, and that's about all. Much of the problem with handling recoil, within limits, is psychological, rather than physiological, as the "dirty trick" test shows.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:20 am 

I have been spending some time with the 40 and I have to tell you that I am finding that the 155-165 gr weights are about ideal - a good heavy bullet - going moderately fast - nice push - not a punch like the 135's seem to have....

I shoot a lot of 180's and they shoot well - I feel that they are a tad slow but for target work they are great....

I was talking to a kid down the street that just turned 21 - he and his friends are packing up in the end of August to head to Alaska for a 2 week canoe/hiking and camping trip - he wants an auto that he can take with him for protection - I recommended a 12ga....

Pistols are great - shotguns are better....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I found that I like the recoil of a 165 grain better than the 180 grain in my P229. It's a little faster and snappier, and easier to get back on target. I've been wondering if there's any gain to going with the 155 grain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I forget where I read about someone with a Glock Fo-Tee that killed a bear with it. Shotguns are ok for most critters, but I doubt it would stop a bear unless one was using slugs, (and heavy duty ones at that!!)

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:22 pm 

00 Buck and a full choke works too.

A 1oz slug beats four aces any day - that is the fight stopper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am 

I've heard that 40 S&W ammo is more prone to feeding problems that 9mm or .45ACP. Is this true?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.