Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Handgun Clubs? 
 Post subject: Handgun Clubs?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:04 pm 

I'm looking maybe to get into target shooting the only thing is that I don;t know what the diffrent types of shooting are. I hear IDPA Siloutte, bullseye but wich is good for someone to start with? What are the aims and skill sets needed for the diffrent types of shooting? Mostly what I'm looking to start with is a way to improve my accuracy I haven't been shooting since I was in boy scouts so I'm a bit rusty.

PS: I've been brousing the forum and rember someone saying something about the lack of young hunters and I think part of the reason is that there isn;t alot of exposre to guns except in the media and 2 even if you where in scouts if your family never hunted you lack the skills, land, and knowlage of how to go about it in a safe and enjoyable way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Handgun Clubs?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Dragoneye9 wrote:
I'm looking maybe to get into target shooting the only thing is that I don;t know what the diffrent types of shooting are. I hear IDPA Siloutte, bullseye but wich is good for someone to start with? What are the aims and skill sets needed for the diffrent types of shooting? Mostly what I'm looking to start with is a way to improve my accuracy I haven't been shooting since I was in boy scouts so I'm a bit rusty.

Bullseye is the classic target shooting. One-handed hold, put holes in the black. If you're looking primarily to mainly improve accuracy (sight picture, trigger squeeze) this is probably the most appropriate. IDPA and IPSC require movement and speed. Pure accuracy is not as important as you have to find the appropriate blend of speed vs. accuracy. IDPA is oriented more towards defensive shooting (use of cover, etc.) while IPSC (also called USPSA) is more about pure speed. Silhouette is all about hitting metal knock-over targets at longer range. Very demanding of accuracy, but typically uses specialized guns that are unlikely to be carried.

Alternatively there are non-sanctioned "fun" competitions, if you look around.

I find myself plugging a league for a club that I'm not even a member of, since I enjoy the format so much. BESA (http://www.besamn.com/new/league.htm) is starting their summer pistol league tomorrow (6/5/2007). The competition is laid-back and relaxed; and combines precision (50 yrd off the bags) with faster timed fire. It is also cheap. $20 for 10/weeks for non-members. You can shoot whatever you want (.22, .38, 9mm, .40, and .45 being the most popular) with either iron or optical sights. You'll need 48 rounds per match. You'll want three magazines or two speed loaders (although some people have shot successfully single-loading revolvers). I think it is a good way for beginners to have fun and improve.

Post subject: League
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:18 pm 

I'll have to check it out. All I have now though is a Ruger Single six so I'm not sure if I'd be able to join thankx for the info though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: League
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dragoneye9 wrote:
I'll have to check it out. All I have now though is a Ruger Single six so I'm not sure if I'd be able to join thankx for the info though.
The single six is a gate loader so you'd be OK in 2 of the 4 stages. However the other 2 stages require reloading and a time limit. You might be able to do it, but you would be pressed for time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.