Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 UPS????????????? 
 Post subject: UPS?????????????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:23 pm 
1911 tainted

I had to ship a STI 9mm Trojan 5.0 back to STI for warranty and the only way I could do it free was through UPS. I literally pleaded with STI customer service to use another shipping vendor, which I could if I wanted to pay for it, for STI to pay for it, it had to be UPS.

Different person helped me today at UPS, so we didn't have to go through that FFL nonsense about it had to be shipped to an FFL. It didn't matter that it is going back to the manufacture for warranty work, UPS has to have a FFL number of the receiving party, yada, yada, etc., etc.,.

So this young man asked me if it was disassembled, which I replied not completely. So if it is in the package, just like it would be when it was shipped from the factory, I guess I told the truth, it wasn't completely disassemble, it wasn't disassemble one tiny bit, so that would not be completely disassembled,,,right?

Then he asks if the firing pin was removed? I said no, and he gave a funny look at the package with a "what should I do now" look. I followed up with, the condition it was in, it could not be fire while shipping. With an empty chamber and the hammer down, that would be another true statement, wouldn't it?

I ship FedEx every chance I get and have zero problems. One time I was shipping some .32 acp ammo I had sold. The lady behind the desk apologized because she knew FedEx could, but she didn't know how. She quickly made a phone call, got the info she needed about the ORD marking on the box and how to handle it. After she got off the phone, she verified with me that it was ammo and not components because they could be handle differently. I started to explain the difference between components and loaded ammo, she asked more questions and I ended up stripping a round out of a magazine I just happen to have in my pocket to clear up her questions.

Is it only in Mankato that UPS is a little behind the curve?????

At least I have a very professional FedEx depot to deal with. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Last year I had to return my Springfield Armory 1911 for some warranty work. Called SA and they said to ship in UPS overnight- and they'd reimburse me. That's when I found out that those UPS mall stores don't accept handguns, period. I emailed UPS corporate, and they told me the same thing- mall stores don't accept handguns at all.
I'd have to take the gun to a shipping hub, but the closest one I knew of, in Burnsville, appparently closed some time ago.
So I called J&S Guns in Lakeville, who sold me the gun. They said to bring it there, and they'd ship it for me- which they did.
And it only cost me $10 which is what J&S wanted for their shipping effort- much less than the overnite priority charges I'd have had to pay UPS. And I didn't have to pay until I got the gun back from J&S.
Springfield pays shipping both ways, but now you have to request reimbursement on the back end. They used to just give you their UPS account number to charge the cost to, but they stopped doing that.
Big PITA, shipping a handgun, though. I don't think FedEX ships guns from those Kinkos stores either, IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:38 am 

I finally gave up on UPS and took my 625 to one of the local dealers and had them ship it to a gunsmith in California for me. They still charged me $25 but it was still way better than the overnight charge that UPS wanted and with zero hassle.

Since then, John at Gunstop told me that he only charges the actual shipping costs to ship guns for people like us that don't have an FFL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:56 pm 
Journeyman Member

I don't ship 'guns', i ship 'machine parts'. A former UPS mall store mgr gave me this tip. To date, no probs.

YMMV

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

And if your 'machine parts' go missing will UPS be willing to replace your .45cal 1911 click banger?

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

mo_the_mouse wrote:
And if your 'machine parts' go missing will UPS be willing to replace your .45cal 1911 click banger?

Probably not, but, i always insure for at least "C" note more than it's worth. Assuming they don't find it, i still get the cash.

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:49 am 

I'd be a little leery of "fudging" the declaration of what you are sending. If it gets lost, you have to document what you sent, and what it's worth. If they decide you shipped something that they don't allow, odds are good they'll decide not to pay you anything. Read their claims policies carefully. I found their "lost packages" FAQ here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... ocess.html

And this section would make me nervous:

---------------------------------

4. UPS Reviews Documents
It is essential that the shipper supplies UPS with documentation that shows the lesser of the actual purchase cost or replacement cost, up to the declared value, as requested in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter. Requested documentation may include original invoices, purchase orders, proof of shipment, or other information required by UPS.

UPS will:

Determine what, if any, value was declared for the contents of the package
Verify that the product falls within the guidelines of the UPS terms or contract with the shipper

UPS mailing address and fax number information are provided in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter. Instructions are also provided on how to submit your documentation to UPS online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 am 
Journeyman Member

My experience with brown has been when it gets lost, it stays lost. Have had to dance with them on two occassions on stuff the 'disappeared' in their system. They took their sweet-ass time but after a short note from my legal beagle they ponied up.

YMMV

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I found this today on the Kimber website.

Quote:
U.S. Post Office - As of this writing it is still possible to return a firearm for warranty service or modification, provided that the proper paperwork is completed and the shipment goes Priority or Priority Registered. The cost of this service is currently $6-$12 for a pistol, depending on your location. If you have questions, please contact your local post office in advance of the shipment.

This is the only form I could find at USPS, USPS PDF

This would seem to be for dealer use only, unless that is what Kimber is referring to.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:43 pm 

I had some issues at the Mankato UPS as well Cobb. They weren't going to take my handgun at first until I convinced the lady that it was ok.

Quote:
So this young man asked me if it was disassembled, which I replied not completely. So if it is in the package, just like it would be when it was shipped from the factory, I guess I told the truth, it wasn't completely disassemble, it wasn't disassemble one tiny bit, so that would not be completely disassembled,,,right?

Then he asks if the firing pin was removed? I said no, and he gave a funny look at the package with a "what should I do now" look. I followed up with, the condition it was in, it could not be fire while shipping. With an empty chamber and the hammer down, that would be another true statement, wouldn't it?

From the UPS website, no where on here does it say anything about disassembling the gun.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... earms.html

Shipping Firearms
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

* You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services
* Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Your packages that contain handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS
* Ammunition cannot be included in your packages that contain firearms (including handguns)

About Documentation and Labeling

* When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

* You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
* When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
* You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
* Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
* See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for shipping firearms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:48 pm 
Delicate Flower

When I shipped my Glock back to the factory 2 months ago the rep @ Glock said absolutely no way ship it USPS unless you are an FFL. Since 911 only FFL's can ship USPS.

If you do....... hope you don't get caught or words to that effect.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not a firearms related incident, but a UPS related one. A while back, I ordered a couple of new computer systems from a vendor for a client. The UPS driver split before I got a chance to inspect the packages. One of the boxes contained an LCD monitor and the box was punctured. I opened it hesitantly. I unpacked the monitor and hooked it up to on of my computers to do a quick functional test. It failed. I contacted UPS about it. They did nothing but deny it was their fault. I then contacted the vendor about it and told them the story. It was replaced by the vendor, eventually. It just irked the hell out of me when UPS acted as if it wasn't their fault. Even so, they would just leave packages on the front porch with it raining outside. I'd come home and the packages would be all soaking wet. It just fails me as to why people do business with UPS. They take NO responsibility for ANYTHING !!!

The USPS is a little better, but not much. I still remember the shotgun I shipped to an FFL in Ga. The stupid woman had to argue with me that they couldn't ship ANY guns, period. I had her get the Postmaster and he showed her in the book where it said they could. (Imagine that, the page was already marked with a post-it note!!) Even after he showed her, she still copped an attitude with me because it was quite obvious that she had an anti-gun attitude. Funniest thing was, they never asked for an FFL # for the recipient!! :shock:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:19 am 
Longtime Regular

I've had no problems (knock wood) with UPS so far.
When the vendor shipped your computer, they should have indicated to UPS that the package needed to be signed for. If they did that, and UPS still left it in the rain, then shame on them.
I've had UPS ship me 2 computers, and it took a couple days to connect- Every time they tried to deliver, nobody was home, so they kept the packages on the truck. Finally I ended up going the hub in Burnsville (now closed) to get them.

I now have all packages shipped to my employer. It's much easier, and the company doesn't mind at all. We can even ship using the company rates, and it's usually much cheaper- especially compared to those ripoff UPS mall stores. They really jack the rates.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.