Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My wife wants a 22mag 
 Post subject: My wife wants a 22mag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:26 pm 

My wife wants a 22mag naa mini revolver does anyone know any thing about these? Also is it going to do the job if needed? I am a little worried about the power but this is probally the only thing she would acctually carry so i think maybe something is better then nothing what does everyone else think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 pm 
On time out

I would never stake my life on rim fire ignition, there are plenty of much better choices, she may be thing small cute and perfect but in real life, they are hard to shoot, not that reliable based on ammo, and less than perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Definitely better than nothing at all, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:08 pm 
On time out

its better in that she get s in the mind set. but the guns and the ammo are so user unfriendly that I find them almost a unsafe token.

a real 36 or 60 S&W is not much bigger, the airweights are just as light, and far far easier to use when the biomass hits the vent device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 am 

I kinda thought the same thing i had her look at a air weight in 38 because she likes to shoot my 38s through my 357. What are your thoughts on the 38 round?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Are there more effective man-stoppers than the .38 Special? Sure, but it's still trusted by many for self-defense (usually in +P) and is a whole lot better than a .22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:17 am 
Longtime Regular

The 22 Mag will have pretty good velocity at close range. It would probably penetrate better and cause more initial shock than some bigger rounds. And she may be able to shoot it faster. Practice is cheap with this.

Have her practice emptying the gun rapid fire. Keep the ammo fresh, I think a rimfire may be more suseptible to moisture from persperation.

Post subject: Re: My wife wants a 22mag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 am 
The Man

gooseman wrote:
My wife wants a 22mag naa mini revolver does anyone know any thing about these? Also is it going to do the job if needed? I am a little worried about the power but this is probally the only thing she would acctually carry so i think maybe something is better then nothing what does everyone else think?
It definitely fits the "have a gun" rule. Other than that, there's not a lot to recommend it, IMHO, and all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:35 am 
The Man

gooseman wrote:
I kinda thought the same thing i had her look at a air weight in 38 because she likes to shoot my 38s through my 357. What are your thoughts on the 38 round?
It's got a long history of being adequate, particularly for the 158-grain +P semiwadcutter. If I didn't have a good reloader I trust to do +P+ .38 rounds for my .357, it's what I'd carry in it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:02 am 

I've never shot one of the NAA revolvers. They are great for deep concealment when nothing else would work(i.e. someplace you'd be using alot of sunscreen). Personally .38 revolver more choice of loads and something easier to hold on to.
Whatever you choose make sure it works with your intended carry load & practice with it.
A hit with a .22 is better then nothing at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
And she may be able to shoot it faster.

Not likely. You have to thumb-cock the hammer on the NAA's. Puling the "hair" trigger doesn't cock the hammer.

And the muzzle blast is surprisingly snappy.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ymbyz6OvExY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ymbyz6OvExY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:48 am 
On time out

They are a novelty gun, more or less, just how small a gun can we make.

Being single action with a birds head grip, they are not the most ergonomic.

.38 Specials have it all over the .22 mag in all forms in this package.

First of all, the velocity will be the same or better in the .38 special, with a .22 mag, the reason for the big fire ball is unconsumed propellent burning outside the barrel. The long narrow case of the .22 mag just does not allow for the powder to burn in an 1.5 inch barrel. Chronographed the .38 special should reach 850 FPS to 900 FPS and the .22 mag will struggle to make 850 fps, while the projectile will be a 158 grain or 135 grain slug, with the .22 mag launching a 40 grainer.

The best ammo right now for the short barreled .38 is the speer 135 gr gold dot,(www.le.atk.com/pdf/SpeerTech38_135HP.pdf) as its specifically designed to work well in short barrels. My wife thinks it "ok" to shoot, meaning its got some bounce, but not painful, and she skinny. Its not target "popper" loads, but its not hard on the hand.

WHile the 2" j frame seems to be the predominant platform, the 3" Jframe is just as easy to carry, and far easier for most to shoot.

Post subject: Re: My wife wants a 22mag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:07 pm 
The Man

gooseman wrote:
Can we back up a second? Could you ask her why she wants one? If it's for the toy value, I don't see any harm. If it's because she doesn't see a better way to combine protection and concealment, there may be some options to discuss.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:09 pm 

well she pretty much admitted to me that she problly wouldn't carry the 38 because of size purposes. She said that she would at least carry this because it is so small

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:05 pm 
On time out

There are ways to carry that women find acceptable, that reduce the issue of size down to an issue of weight. ( why do women always whine about size..... oh wait)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.