Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 What Press 
 Post subject: What Press
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

My Son-in-Law and I are looking into going in on a new reloading set up. We may be out growing our Rock Chucker. We're thinking Dillon or something along those lines. Any recommendations? It would be nice to be able to reload several hundred a day. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I can do about 350 per hour on my Dillon RL 550, if you add the case feeder I am told you can get close to 800.

I like it because the hardest part of changing calibers is to powder thrower.

Plus there is the Dillon guarantee, can't be beat.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks, since I posted I've spent an hour or two doing research. It looks like it's between the Dillion 550 and the RCBS Pro 2000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:09 am 

Just incase you might be considering the case feed.

550 case feed $240
650 case feed $195

How about powder check dies and seperate crimp dies, The 550 is only a 4 whole tool head vs the 650s 5 hole.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:15 pm 

Most people that have Dillon presses seem to recommend 'em to others, which says a lot right there... Best reason to get a Dillon is that John over at Gunstop Reloading is a dealer and will show you the ropes on it, making the whole process a LOT easier. 8)

That having been said, I've got a Pro 2000, and am reasonably happy with it. I primarily got it because of the APS priming system; there were a few reports about primer feed tubes going off back around the time I was deciding and the strips should be much less prone to having all go off at once.

One last thing: RCBS has essentially the same warranty/service as Dillon, only they don't beat their chests over it and shout it from the rooftops, so don't let that be your deciding factor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rem 700 wrote:

Quote:
How about powder check dies and seperate crimp dies

I have both of the above in my 650 and would not want to load without either. You may think that you can watch all the cases after the powder station to see if they are not filled or double filled but you can't! You cannot afford a squib or double charge. (I'm an IPSIC CRO and IDPA SO and have had several of each of the above with shooters I have been supervising. You do not want it to happen to you!)

I use a Lee Taper Crimp die in a seperate station. In my opinion, it is the only way to get consistant taper crimp on a case.

I had the same concern when buying a Dillon. 550 or 650?

I NEVER regret buying the 650 for the extra money.

At the time I purchased my 650, you could not buy a case feed for the 550. You will want a case feed! I bought my 650 without one. After the first time I loaded with it, I went out and bought the case feed. It is so fast loading, you won't want to spend all your time loading cases.

I had one part break on the press after several years. Called Dillon. I had two of the parts, no charge, in a couple days.

The only complaints I have with the Dillon are: It takes a lot to change primer sizes (large / small). Also, filling the primer tubes takes time.

I long ago forgot how much I paid for the press. Whatever it was, it was worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:08 am 

Go for the 650. I purchased a Lee at first. I had a primer double feed and blow a part the primer feed tray. I'm lucky I'm still here.

I'm glad I purchased a Dillon 650. One of the best reloaders on the market. Plus you have one of the best companies backing it up. Can't go wrong.

Post subject: Get a Dillion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:24 pm 

I'll admit, I'm bias, I have a Dillion 650 and would not trade for anything but two 650's. I used RCBS for years and they are fine machines but the Dillion is a dream to crank out high volumes of your favorite load.

In all seriousness what ever you buy get it at Gunstop from John, he is the reloading God and is very helpful in getting loads and setups done.

I load 45, 40 and 38 super on my 650 and John has been great in helping me get the perfect setup for each. I have the powder check option and including the time to load primer tubes I push out about 450 rounds an hour. Some guys load all the tubes first then you can easiliy break 600 an hour.

If you need any help getting stated or want to see a setup run let me know and I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour of the 650.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:14 am 

IMHO go with Dillon. Nothing against any other machine, I just know that I have never had any better service from a company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:45 am 
Forum Moderator

I read recently that the 550 casefeed will not work for rifle cases, but the 650 will for sure, I load .223 on it with casefeeding.

IMHO, Dillon needs to throw out the 550 and the 650 and come up with a single machine that can be sold as a 550 or a 650, depending on whether it has casefeeding & autoindexing or not, and the ability to sell those features independently to people owning the "lower end" press.

This would save Dillon a ton of money on support & manufacturing (one toolhead, one conversion kit for other calibers, one set of parts, etc.) while maintaining the same basic differential between the 550 and the 650 (autoindexing & casefeeding).

The 650 is a great machine, but the priming system, while reliable, and needs to be engineered as a single component, not the two-part system it is now, for easier switchout and to eliminate "primer passthrough" for times when station 2 is empty.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.