Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Wow, what a difference new grips can make 
 Post subject: Wow, what a difference new grips can make
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:42 pm 

I scored a hella good deal on gun broker and got a set of hogue grips for my S&W (5 bucks!). Man, I had no idea what a huge diff just adding half an inch to the bottom of the grip makes. I suppose there is a little more substantial to hang on to as well, little meatier, but wow.

Gun looks weird having a larger grip on it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Stolen from GlockTalk.com:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pics
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:37 pm 
Delicate Flower

Pic capability would be nice indeed

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:04 am 

Pics would be nice but I'll admit that usually I can't get pics to work in forums.

At a minimum, what model gun and what grips before and after?

$5 beats my best, $12 pachmay grippers (shipped) for my S&W M13 that I had just got.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:32 pm 

wow it worked.

that's my 642. The new grips are the hogue monogrips. They are supposed to be a soft, recoil absorbing rubber too...

The original grips were just like what joel has at the top of the forum page here. Same gun I believe. Except they were black hard rubber not wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a set like that on my 649 but I ended up going back to fingergroove wood that was somewhat smaller. I just thought the grips looked too big for the gun. Maybe with a 3 or 4 inch barrel it would be more in proportion. Just my opinion, they are easy to hang on to.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:10 pm 

Yep, I do think they look to big for the gun but I'm not too concerned about looks. I don't want to be fiddling around with trying to shoot the gun with only 1 finger wrapped around the grip if I'm in a situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:52 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Wow that is a beaut. I am really getting the itch for a revolver.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Grips on a snubbie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:42 am 

My experience with snubbies has steered me toward boot grips. That little snubbie is my absolute favorite carry gun.

The S&W 649 I carry came w/ a finger groove style grip similar to the picture above. The rounded (and somewhat ridged) rear of the grip was pretty brutal with full house .357 magnum loads after 100 rounds.

I have found that the boot style grip with an exposed backstrap is a bit wider and flatter, and this configuration spreads the impact over more of my hand. This eases felt recoil for me. YMMV of course... The grips I use are low cost, hard rubber grips with finger grooves that are based on a Craig Spegel design.

I may yet track down a nice set of smooth Rosewood boot grips made by Spegel just to dress the pistol up a bit. The smooth wood should also assist with allowing cover garment fabric to slide over the butt, lessening the possibility of printing.

I do find it necessary to exercise my hands to ensure I can maintain a grip on the pistol though; it is still a beast to fire. Did I mention how much I like my little snubbie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 am 

Yes, I did notice that the soft rubber made belt carry a pain. That's not a big deal since I don't like the gun really. Just not a snubbie fan I guess. The grips make a huge difference, but I just don't enjoy shooting it. The recoil isn't the issue, I just don't like the ergonomics I guess even though they are improved.

Anyway, on the belt my shirt would stick to the soft rubber and would eventually ride up and expose the gun. So I guess I'll use it strictly for pocket carry or deep concealment or something.

Heh, maybe I'll sell it. Which I guess is the next big question, how does one go about selling a used gun? Never done it... Seems like there is a billion of these on gunbroker...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.