Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 40 S&W at less that the recommended 'starting' grains? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

TeamSlacker wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a lighter spring for the XD, so that option might be out also.

They are available here.

With the variety available it will allow you to tune for all practical loads. I tune my XD45 with four different springs. Allows starting grain loads through +p+ without beating up the slide and your hands.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:39 pm 
First-time poster

Reduced load for 40 SW -- try a 155gr hard cast pushed with 4 grs Bullseye -- feels very light and still will get you good velocity. I am getting sub 2"groups with this loading in my M&P at 15yds, and the recoil really is nominal. My 9 year old son shoots this pistol and loading with no problem .... I will be using it for IDPA .... have not chronographed it yet but would not be suprised if it is not moving in the 850fps range ... Bullseye is one of the only powders where you will not get a reduced charge detonation ... I experimented with that a little over 10 years ago ... 155 gr bullets are what S&W origionally developed the 40 S&W to shoot in their 4006 (developemetal model) ... the 155gr silvertip was the ideal factory load at the time .... I still believe it is the best bullet weight for the 40 .... if you wish to shoot a 180 class bullet of heavier, shoot a 45 and be done with it ... 40's to me have a different felt recoil than a 45, say in a 1911 .... reduced 40's are great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 pm 

I don't load for a .40 S&W but IMO the best recipe for a powderpuff load is a fast burn rate powder under a light bullet. Speer #13 lists a load of 5.4-6.0g of Bullseye over a 155g jacketed bullet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.