Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Whats it worth?... 
 Post subject: Whats it worth?...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:20 pm 

My Brother in Law just gave me a S&W Commemorative 357 model 586. It is in a presentatiion box commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Iowa State Patrol. The box is printed with

Fiftieth Anniversary
1935 1985
Trooper Iowa State Patrol

The gun has a badge in Gold and has gold "S" Piping in the cylinder. Also written on the barrel is "Iowa State Patrol 1935 Commemorative 1985
and below that,"Fiftieth Anniversary", all iin Gold. The gun looks unfired, or at the most test fired. I also have the original box and sales paperwork for the gun.

Any ideas as to value?
Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looking on gunbroker at 586 commemoratives, they have an AZ one for just under $600 and a Pa Game Commission one listed at the buy now price of $900 and a minimum bid of $750. I did a search and the Pa gun has been up for auction 3 times now with NO bids.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=44167566

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=44075577

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:45 pm 

Well its a beautiful gun, just kind of useless. I think the only one who would want one would be a collector of Law Enforcement stuff or a Iowa State Trooper collector. I wish the dang thing were just a normal 586 with a 6" barrel I could use to hunt with.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, almost nothing. You'd just as well give it away. In fact, I'll take it.

:D :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew, you're just TOO mean !! I thought of saying that myself but decided to be the "nice guy" :shock:

:lol:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:27 pm 
on probation

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Oh, almost nothing. You'd just as well give it away. In fact, I'll take it.

:D :lol: :wink:
Andrew how could you be so Bad? I hope this make you feel really big to take it off his hands................................................................................................................ At least I would have told him the samething but he would have to give me a $ 100.00 to boot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

S/A, both of ya :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:11 pm 
on probation

BigRobT wrote:
It's better than a D/A :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Are you sure it's not a Model 66? "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" doesn't list a 586 Iowa State Patrol Commemorative.

They do list a Model 66-1 Iowa State Patrol commemorative, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel with wood presentation case. 250 made, 1982.

The prices can be all over the map for these; there's several dozen commemorative 66s for all kinds of local, state and national LEO organizations, so it's hard to obtain a premium just because it is commemorative, unless Iowa means something to you.

There's 3-4 66s on Gunbroker now in the sub-$500 range; I figure this gun might command a $300 premium, maybe somewhat more due to the small numbers made, condition and papers, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

lastgunshop wrote:
BigRobT wrote:
It's better than a D/A :lol:

Y'all are referring to single action and double action? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 pm 

I did a little more research on this and found it was not a factory commemorative. It was done in 1985 for the then troopers. It was for ISP #64 and after looking under the presentation box found the original bill of sale and the subsequent bill of sale to my brother-in laws Father. I also found a memo to the unit commanders on how to care for them. And yes this is the model 586.
Thanks all,
Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.